Thoughts on maxspect gyre 150

Jep21

So currently in my 40g tank i have 2 mp10's running at 50% and 2 mp40's running at 50% and an ehiem 1260 for my return pump. I will be removing all 4 vortech pumps and replacing it with a single maxspect gyre 150. Was wondering whats everyone's thoughts on the maxspect and has anyone run into any issues with them. When i get the pump i will be running it at about 25% give or take how it is in my tank. To me i believe that the more flow the tank has the better especially for sps..

reeferside

man that is a lot of flow for a 40 G.

Anyways.. one maxspect maybe and a mp40/10 on the other side may satisfy your desire for turbulent waves in a small glass box. : )

Jep21

Your tank is going to look like a snow globe.
Actually with all my pumps right now so far no snow globe lol.. Been lucky specially since i have sand in the tank..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jep21

man that is a lot of flow for a 40 G.

Anyways.. one maxspect maybe and a mp40/10 on the other side may satisfy your desire for turbulent waves in a small glass box. : )
Hmm i thnk i may do that and upgrade my mp40 to the new one.. It'll make some epic waves :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The reefer

I would sell all the vortechs and get 2 gyres. IMO an mp40 is overkill in a 40br. I would do 2 gyre 130's.

Or keep them if u ever think about upgrading to a 5' tank. And u can add them with the gyres.

Last edited:

tinman

Couple things i like more about mps than Gyres ..

1. Look they give to the tank .. Mps definetly look better than Gyres i think .. that being said i would like to try and see how a gyre does on my 50 cube ..
2. Build Quality .. i love the build quality on my mp10s .. its awesome .. Gyres on the other hand feel cheap
3. Customer support .. Ecotech loves their customers and would help me out if i need them ..

gyre's are the way to go and now they're also controllable...but i would go with a single 130 gyre on one side for your 40 gallon...a 150 is way overkill in flow plus size, it would stick out like a sore thumb...i have 2 130s along the back of my 70 and 1 mp10 on one side for random flow...both 130s are only at about 50%, anything more and sand storm whearas the mp10 is dialed up to 100%...the flow of a gyre is just that much better than mp's and that's the important thing, i'm only using the mp10 to randomize and target my flow

Last edited:

tinman

gyre's are the way to go and now they're also controllable...but i would go with a single 130 gyre on one side for your 40 gallon...a 150 is way overkill in flow plus size, it would stick out like a sore thumb...i have 2 130s along the back of my 70 and 1 mp10 on one side for random flow...both 130s are only at about 50%, anything more and sand storm whearas the mp10 is dialed up to 100%...the flow of a gyre is just that much better than mp's and that's the important thing, i'm only using the mp10 to randomize and target my flow
are you still in the loop ?

sk8elenex92

Premium member
I have the gyre 150 on my 120 thanks to CR!! I run it max at 60% and the nems on the other side were barely hanging on. It looked like their foot was slowly peeling off ha. I dont use the reverse mode much it does not push much water at all, and I max it at 100% When I do run it I do see all the junk and uneaten foods get picked up off the sand bed. I haven't played with the cages so that's probably why its weak. I did have two mp10's on my cube and those were great pumps and very easy to take apart and clean. When I take this gyre apart I get nervous every time. I feel like im going to snap the thing in half. It was either the gyre or two mp40's, but now I am very glad i got the gyre.

labas39

The one thing to consider is your rock scaping. I wanted to get a 130 in my 65 but since I have the "old" rock pile look, there's no way for the flow to get back to the pump and it would just blast the sand on the opposite end. (I thought that it would happen and it was confirmed by a friend who had the same setup with the same outcome. He ended up putting it in his frag tank.)

Maybe someone will prove me wrong but I'm thinking you need that open rock scaping.

Kind of bummed but I ended up sticking with my MP10's, WP25's and WP10's.

Eddie79

Premium member
The MP10s on my 60 cube ruined the view on each side. They gyre sits about 3 inches from the top of my tank, looks much cleaner, is much quieter and provides more flow at 60% power than 2 MP10s did at 90% power. I can't speak to the build quality, longevity or customer service, but I love my 130 and its plenty of flow on a 60 cube. Just my 2 cents.

labas39

I'm not sure if they're out yet but the new 130's have the new impeller which are one piece and only 4 blades. It's supposed to resolve some of the issues they had with them breaking in Version 1.

Eddie79

Premium member
Labas39 has a good point about the aquascaping. I have one large rock in the center of my cube and a couple other smaller "islands". None of which restrict flow.

I have the gyre 150 on my 120 thanks to CR!! I run it max at 60% and the nems on the other side were barely hanging on. It looked like their foot was slowly peeling off ha. I dont use the reverse mode much it does not push much water at all, and I max it at 100% When I do run it I do see all the junk and uneaten foods get picked up off the sand bed. I haven't played with the cages so that's probably why its weak. I did have two mp10's on my cube and those were great pumps and very easy to take apart and clean. When I take this gyre apart I get nervous every time. I feel like im going to snap the thing in half. It was either the gyre or two mp40's, but now I am very glad i got the gyre.

Reverse mode does not work well for a reason - take a look at the impeller and you'll see why it doesn't...how you're supposed to correctly use reverse mode is by using the reverse set of impellers on one side so that it will then push water in reverse mode on that one side...so really, only 1 side of your gyre will work in one direction and the other works when in reverse which to me is a dealbreaker so i never use reverse

ninjamyst

Premium member
I'm not sure if they're out yet but the new 130's have the new impeller which are one piece and only 4 blades. It's supposed to resolve some of the issues they had with them breaking in Version 1.
They been out for a few weeks now. I know BRS and Marine Depot stock the new ones now. If you buy locally, they may still have the old stock.

tinman

hmmm propeller issue is why i didnt try yet .. now i should try the new version and see if i like it better than my mp10s ..

Brian .. i should stop by soon and see your new acros and the tank ? ;) i bet its beautiful . are you still sporting hYdra 52s ?