Too Many Frag Swaps?

goat585

Administrator
The Chicago area was lucky enough to have 3 aquarium events since August starting with Aquashella, then then Aquatium Extravaganza and then the midwest aquatic convention last weekend. Next year there is likely to be at least 4 events. Do you think there are too many events? What makes you want to attend the events?

ninjamyst

Premium member
I didn't go to any this year. Previous years, I always go to aquatic experience. Prices at these shows are not much better than local LFS. New product announcements I can read online.

GugsJr

TeamCR
I think we have too many. Yea we had those big 3 but we also had a few others. Harvest Frag Swap, the one by Illionois valley and a few other smaller ones I cant remember.

It's just too saturated. If it was one a quarter maybe I would go to all.

It seemed like we had one every month. Not to mention Steve Clark spams the Facebook groups even with ones out of our area.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I feel they should be more spread out, although I do understand that summer time is usually a slow period for reefers. I didn't get to go to any of them after Aquashella cause the timing just didn't work out. I'm glad to see Chicago getting some reef love though.

madjoe

Premium member
This question is really better to be answered by the vendors. I personally definitely don’t go to many most are over priced at the door wife likes to go with and at 25$ a ticket or even 20$ i spend to much just to get in to see the same stuff over and over. Also not a fan of all blue lighting makes it hard to see some stuff jmo. But if vendors are making money on everyone of them then id say its not to many but if they losing money then yea probably to many

Mjl714

I agree with [MENTION=1217]madjoe[/MENTION], if the vendors are making money, the shows will go on. I’ll go when and to the ones I can fit in.

Sawdonkey

Premium member
I went to two this fall and was just surprised by how many vendors there were compared to customers. There are so many vendors selling basically the same things (polyps and euphilia). It just seemed that a lot of them would be taking a lot of the stuff back home with them.

I don’t feel like the prices at either were all that good.

superchargedgp

Pricing is an issue for me also. It seems like most of them just make them up on the spot. No marked pricing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ESH

Premium member
I've had no issue with the number of them. Personally, Id prefer to support local shops, but they are either to far away, dont have the selection I'd hope to see, so events like these seem to bring in vendors from all over with great corals. I really like when vendors post previews of specific frags they have before the events. I picked up a homewrecker frag for a really good price at the aquarium extravaganza event and I might have overlooked this smaller vendor who had this without seeing their post online.

goat585

Administrator
I went to two this fall and was just surprised by how many vendors there were compared to customers. There are so many vendors selling basically the same things (polyps and euphilia). It just seemed that a lot of them would be taking a lot of the stuff back home with them.

I don’t feel like the prices at either were all that good.
Pricing is an issue for me also. It seems like most of them just make them up on the spot. No marked pricing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I do not think their pricing is any different than what you would get in the store. Since swaps went completely commercial compared to hobbyist selling the prices are bound to be higher. They have to cover all their overhead to bring all the tanks in and most have an employee or two they have to pay to do so.