WaterBox Vs Red Sea

So I'm going to be moving into my girlfriend's apartment within the next few months, and I really don't want to risk dealing with my custom plumbing in an apartment. So I'm looking at getting either a Waterbox or a Red Sea. The pricing and features are pretty similar, so I was hoping some people either had some experience with one or the other, or was just hoping for some advice.

I'm looking at the Waterbox Marine 70.3 or the Red Sea Reefer 250. The key thing is I'll only have around 3 feet of space, otherwise I'd go for the 350. The Waterbox Reef 100.3 is also a potential option.

So, here are the stats:

FeatureWaterbox 70.3Red Sea Reefer 250Waterbox 100.3
Total System Volume68.7 gallons65 gallons97.2 gallons
Display Water Volume43.8 gallons54 gallons71.7 gallons
Sump Water Volume22.0 gallons11 gallons25.4 gallons
ATO Reservoir Volume4.3 gallons2.1 gallons4.7 gallons
Tank Length36"35.5"36"
Tank Width20"20"24"
Tank Height18"21"22"
Sump Length24"24"
Sump Width14"18"
Sump Height15"15"
Skimmer Chamber11.8 x 9.913.8 x 9.817.2 x 9.48
Pump Chamber9.2 x 5.913.8 x 4.79.4 x 5.9
Price$1199.99$1349.00$1749.99

After looking at the specs, the Waterbox do look very nice. It's mainly a "are they as durable and long-lasting as Red Sea"? I know Red Sea uses metric piping vs Waterbox, so that is another pro for Waterbox. And then between the WB70.7 and the RS250, is display volume more important or sump volume? Although we can all probably agree that the RS250 ATO volume is terrible.

Anyway, thanks for the help, hopefully we can get a good discussion going on.

shift9k

I've had a RS250 for over 2 years now, and *knock on wood* not a single issue. I've used stock plumbing down the green soft return hose.

Agree with you on the ATO, total joke. It was the first thing to go. People have made some pretty cool fuge's out of them though.

Can't speak on the WB, but I can tell you the fit and finish of the RS is top notch.

goat585

Administrator
I have a small water box cube and i really like it. The quality is really nice. I cant comment on the bigger ones but if i were to consider one id lean toward waterbox. I just here too much complaining about the plumbing on the red sea ones to make me want to go that route.

blkhwkz

Premium member
I've had my Red Sea XL425 for about 4 years now. No issues with it other than a leaky o-ring I still need to replace. That said, I am looking at getting another larger tank in the future and probably going to go with the WB Reef Pro 220.6. I've seen their tanks before and they look as good as the Red Sea tanks.

ESH

Premium member
Pretty happy with my Redsea 750. Plumbing conversion parts are out there but its an added expense. I considered the waterbox but ast fall they were on back order, so I went with redsea. plus they go on sale once a year around black friday - not much though, only 7.5% I think. Pretty sure Ive seen water box go on sale once or twice a year so keep an eye out.

Firedawg1983

Happy with my Red Sea 625. This December will be two years running. No issues. ATO is a joke but works. Plenty of customizable options for you. Like stated above they do go on sale usually around Black Friday. Personal preference. When I get another tank I’ll probably get a water box or Red Sea peninsula. Unless I win the lottery then I’m going massive and custom LOL

ninjamyst

Premium member
I love my red sea 350 and looking to upgrade to the 750 down the line. Waterbox got really popular lately but branding is king and the Red Sea is just a more well known, stable, reliable brand. If Waterbox is significantly cheaper, sure. I just don't see how they can compete at a similar price point without major innovations and perks.

HOWEVER, if you are going the Waterbox 100.3, then that wins over the Red Sea Reefer 250 based solely on display water volume and the ability for more and bigger fishes.

ninjamyst

Premium member
By the way, I remember reading a thread on R2R about a slightly annoying visual issue with the waterbox glass and the stand on r2r. Something about light reflection...I can't find the thread now though.

So as an update, I decided to go with the Waterbox 100.3. The price point worked out, and when I went to see one I really liked the style. Also it all being in imperial dimensions is helpful.

Once it arrives I'll be starting a new build thread and reviewing some components.

Bfishb

Red seas customer service sucks. I have a waterbox 70.2 and love it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk