What do guys do to keep ur sump area cool?

Jep21

Hey guys so i've been getting a lot of heat in my sump area which is constantly keeping my tank temp above 83-85 i've been able to keep it at 80.5 with my chiller but was wondering what are other ways to keep tanks cool.. i added one of those computer fans and drilled it in the stand.. was wondering what do u guys do to keep ur tank cool.. I was considering getting this AIR KING 6" CLIP ON AQUARIUM FAN http://www.aquacave.com/air-king-6-clip-on-aquarium-fan.html but if there's a better alternative lmk :)

The reefer

No need to spend so much on a fan. Just go to target or bed bath and beyond. They also sell small clip fans. And there around 8-9 bucks. Cheap and will work exactly the same. I have one from target.

jrpark22000

Premium member
No need to spend so much on a fan. Just go to target or bed bath and beyond. They also sell small clip fans. And there around 8-9 bucks. Cheap and will work exactly the same. I have one from target.
+1. I currently have a smaller aquarium fan that clips over the sump wall top, but have to replace the fans every year or so due to salt creep. My old clip on mounted under the DT in the stand is still running 3 years later.

Jep21

I have used this fan in the past. Cheap and quiet. I'm not as concerned with the heat now BC my tank's in the basement http://www.amazon.com/Lasko-2004W-2-Speed-6-Inch-White/dp/B00FXOFO7W/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1434508195&sr=8-16&keywords=lasko+fan.
thanks will try to look for a nice cheap clip on one.. the ideal one for would be to find one that i can drill underneath the stand which idk if its possible.. hopefully when i get a single family house i can put my tank in the basement or at least put the sump there lol

thanks bro.. these tanks and the heat they emit lol

+1. I currently have a smaller aquarium fan that clips over the sump wall top, but have to replace the fans every year or so due to salt creep. My old clip on mounted under the DT in the stand is still running 3 years later.
what kind did u use to mount under ur dt? This is exactly what i want to do

thanks for this bro.. will have to stop by later today for one lol

Spartanman22

I've got two 120mm fans installed into the back wall of my stand to pull air out of the sump area. Works pretty well and helps keep moisture levels down inside the stand.

Jep21

Just curious, what kind of equipment do you have that is raising the temp that much?
40 breeder tank with middle over flow and two returns
Flow: 2 mp40's and 2 mp 10's
Return: Mag 5
Skimmer: Reef Octopus Classic int 160 skimmer rated for 90-200g (have a filter sock over plumbing over skimmer section)
Light: Maxspect Razor R420R 180watt 15000K
Reactor: IM Desktop mini reactor with carbon
Fuge:Coral Compulsion 14 watt PAR 30 Led Refugium light
Controller: Reef Keeper Lite with 2 pc4's temp probe and ph probe
Chiller: jbj arctica chiller
Clip on fan added

IHaveCrabs

Premium member
That is a lot of flow for a 40b! Could always cut one or two of the MP's. I know mine run hot but the motor is outside so not sure how much it affects the water temp.

Jep21

That is a lot of flow for a 40b! Could always cut one or two of the MP's. I know mine run hot but the motor is outside so not sure how much it affects the water temp.
Lol actually like having a ton of flow.. What i learned is that sps and anemones like a lot of flow.. For all 4 pumps i actually run them only about 1/3 speed wise..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk