What made you get into reefing?

DD

"Rambo"
I wanted to share how I got into reef keeping, but also share how I got into aquariums to begin with.

I'll start:

My first introduction into aquarium keeping was when I was very young, probably around 6-8 years old. This is going back, and some of you older guys will probably remember this store, but my first experience was with a goldfish bowl and goldfish from Woolworth's lol.

My first fish would die, and my grandfather would take me to the pet shop to get more, and they would in turn die. I then bought my first aquarium....a 5.5 gallon. I had a corner filter with filter floss and carbon in it. The first did pretty well, but at that time I would take the whole aquarium into my backyard to "clean it".

The next upgrade was to a 10 gallon tank. I had went all high tech with it and got an under gravel filter, a powerhead, whisper back filter, and hang on the back heater. I kept Oscars in the tank and when they'd outgrow it, I'd trade them in and get small ones again.

After having a successful 10 gallon going for a while, I switched to community fish, and then wanted something bigger so I got a 38 gallon. That 38 gallon saw many different setups. The first was community fish, then I went with South American Cichlids, then Piranha's. I then got sick of fish and set it up for an Iguana lol.

I had the Iguana for quite some time and then got bored with that and gave it to a friend. Around that time, I believe 15 years old, my father bought a fish only saltwater tank with a couple of triggers and a lion fish. I immediately fell in love with saltwater and wanted to get my own. Once I had the money, I bought crushed coral, salt, hydrometer, and set up my first saltwater aquarium. The very first fish I owned was a Bursa Trigger. That eventually led to me working at a pet shop where my first foray into reefing occurred. This was right around 1996 or 1997. Back then, keeping a reef was a challenge to put it lightly. Pretty much everything I bought died. I ended up getting tired of it and went back to freshwater, ultimately getting Oscars again.

I stayed with freshwater for years. I eventually went with a planted tank, all set up high tech with co2. I enjoyed having that for a long time until I went down to Dallas for training with my last company. I had to live down there for 4 months and one of my coworkers and I went to play golf. Afterwards we went back to his house and I saw his 90 gallon reef tank and was floored by it! Right then and there I decided that I needed to have a reef tank.

I did a bunch of research, and with the help of my coworker buddy, I ended up getting a 10 gallon and setting it up as a nano. I enjoyed that tank so much that I quickly ran out of room and bought the 27 cube that I just recently took down. That tank did well for quite a while.

As my interest in reefing grew, I decided to take my planted 46 gallon down and buy another aquarium that was reef ready.

So as you can see, I've been in the hobby in general for a very long time. Even recently, over the last year I've wanted to get out completely because I didn't have the time or interest to keep it going, but every time that happened, I just remembered that I've never been without an aquarium since that first goldfish bowl, and it's become ingrained in my DNA.

To answer the question of what made me get into reefing, it was seeing my buddy's tank, and seeing GSP and Xenia in all honesty lol. It's funny how the things that got me into the hobby, are the things I avoid like the plague now. Well all except for GSP. That stuff is still cool as heck!

So what's your story?

anarchy

I had a couple betas when I was younger but they never really kept me interested.

When I was 19 I moved into an apartment with some guys from college. One of the guys had a 20 gallon with 2 red belly piranhas. They were cool but I didn't too much care about them, but I'd go with him to tropaquatics where I would just talk to Kelly lol.

Once they started to outgrow the 20 he went out and bought a 40 breeder and that's when I bought my first fish. It was a 10" pleco named godzilla. After about 4 months my buddy stopped taking care of the tank and he texted me one morning when I was driving home from work that my pleco was dead and the piranhas looked terrible. I spent the rest of the day learning how to take care of the fish and how to change water and what not. That's when the addiction started.

Not long after I set up his old 20 gallon as my own south and central American cichlid tank. Only took me about 2 months to fill that tank up and go out and buy a 55 gallon. Had that tank for a year, met my wife and moved in with her.

I kept the 55 running but also started up a 29 gallon African cichlid tank and a 10 gallon tiger barb tank. After another year I bought a 75 and gave my 55 away. Ran the 75 for a year when I found a 120 reef on craigslist. I was getting tired of the ease of fw fish so with my gfs help I bought my first reef. Didn't take long to sell off all the freshwater tanks.

120 ran for 6 months until ich broke out and killed most of the fish. Bought 2 drilled 29s and made a qt setup. Bought a 27 cube as a clown tank. Then my son was born and bills started rolling in. 120 got sold, 27 went in the closet and the 29 got packed with everything from both tanks. Once we got back on our feet my wife went out and bought me a db 30 and I set up my first double display tank setup. 9 months later she bought me my 93 and this is where I'm currently at. Looks like she'll be buying me a 180 next. Maybe I can convince her to go bigger than that.

So I guess what got me into reefing was getting bored with freshwater.

Sorry for the long post

I had a 10 gallon freshwater tank when I was younger. Kept that tank from middle school until the end of my high school days. Fast forward to 2013 when my son was just about a year old, was fascinated by a nice 50 gallon that a friend of the family had. I bought him a tank for his bday to keep in his room. Then that's when the itch started for me. I had always wanted to try saltwater, and thought I would start off small with a bio cube. Needless to say as other reefers in the hobby, I upgraded. And that's where I am now, still a newbie going on 2 years strong and no plans or desires to stop anytime soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

enzo1028

Premium member
I had a couple small tanks growing up in my life. Mostly just small AIO systems for Betta or Goldfish. My roommate in college joking bought a tank with a bunch of incompatibly fish from walmart. Everything started dying and so I took it over to try and save what I could. I eventually started putting real plants in the tank. Then I moved home and upgraded that 10 gallon to a 30 gallon fully planted tank. A few months after I set that up, a friend of a friend wanted gave me their 36 gallon reef tank for free because they did not have time to keep it, and almost all of the live stock had died off already. I cleaned that tank up and upgraded it a few times and now I have a nice 60 gallon cube!

sk8elenex92

Premium member
My cousin got me into this crazy hobby. I always told him it looked so difficult to keep, I wish I could have one at home.. He always said its not as hard as you may think. So I went for it and bought a 60 cube. Read millions of forums, found CR and couldn't of done it without you guys. Especially Big Barnicals which is no longer active here.. Never had a fish tank in my life, and dove right into a reef. He was right, with the correct setup, flow, skimmer, lights it worked out very well for 2years. Then I had to move sold everything and now I am a SPS addict and have a 120 gallon rimless tank. I now help my cousin with his tanks since mine looks better.. hehe

jrpark22000

Premium member
Too much free money, free time, too little stress and far too much empty space in my house :rofl: What better way to fix all of that in one hobby and also allow you to no longer enjoy vacations without wondering several times a day, "is my reef dead?"

Jokes aside, I thought it was going to be easy, semi cheap and fun. Well atleast one of those is semi correct...

Sawdonkey

Premium member
I walked into a fish store in Davenport IA when I was 17 and had to get into saltwater tanks. I had it running for a short time before I went to college. Never had much luck. I set up the tank in college and got a picasso trigger that lived in the 30 for almost a year before I upgraded to a 55. I had decent success through college at keeping fish alive even though I moved at least once per year, sometimes twice.

Summer of 2002, I moved to Chicago (with my fish) and they made it too. I had an ich outbreak and all fish died in late 2002. I began restocking in Jan 2003 and that's when I got Gary, the Picasso Triger I have today. I got a handful of fish and they were with me for 3-4 years even though I was moving every year with new roomates etc. Then I had another ich outbreak and lost everyone but Gary. I restocked with my all of the fish I have today except my PBT and my Emperor. This was about 2008. I upgraded to a used 90 gal and bought my PBT.

I bought my condo in 2011 and began looking for a big tank. I bought my 220 and about the same time, I discovered this forum. I had never read any of the forums until then. I knew RC existed, but never used it. I started seeing awesome reefs and didn't really think I could pull it off given my big aggressive fish. I saw a ridiculous predator tank online and thought I'd try it. Well, i started buying corals and here we are today....with a serious SPS addiction.

Mjl714

Too much free money, free time, too little stress and far too much empty space in my house :rofl: What better way to fix all of that in one hobby and also allow you to no longer enjoy vacations without wondering several times a day, "is my reef dead?"

Jokes aside, I thought it was going to be easy, semi cheap and fun. Well atleast one of those is semi correct...

Love the comment about enjoying vacations, hilarious, but very true.

Mjl714

I walked into a fish store in Davenport IA when I was 17 and had to get into saltwater tanks. I had it running for a short time before I went to college. Never had much luck. I set up the tank in college and got a picasso trigger that lived in the 30 for almost a year before I upgraded to a 55. I had decent success through college at keeping fish alive even though I moved at least once per year, sometimes twice.

Summer of 2002, I moved to Chicago (with my fish) and they made it too. I had an ich outbreak and all fish died in late 2002. I began restocking in Jan 2003 and that's when I got Gary, the Picasso Triger I have today. I got a handful of fish and they were with me for 3-4 years even though I was moving every year with new roomates etc. Then I had another ich outbreak and lost everyone but Gary. I restocked with my all of the fish I have today except my PBT and my Emperor. This was about 2008. I upgraded to a used 90 gal and bought my PBT.

I bought my condo in 2011 and began looking for a big tank. I bought my 220 and about the same time, I discovered this forum. I had never read any of the forums until then. I knew RC existed, but never used it. I started seeing awesome reefs and didn't really think I could pull it off given my big aggressive fish. I saw a ridiculous predator tank online and thought I'd try it. Well, i started buying corals and here we are today....with a serious SPS addiction.
Tank, fish and sps are awesome, well done.

IHaveCrabs

Premium member
Hmm, well I always remember having a little 10 gallon with under gravel filters with a number of random freshwater fish when I was a lot younger. When I got to college, I set up a 55 gallon freshwater tank with some knife fish and some other randoms. That tank eventually was turned into a Piranha tank which I sold to a LFS when I moved back home.

What got me into Saltwater was going to the Shedd Aquarium. Some of the different fish species were so cool to look at. So I went to a local Petco store and asked the guy working there what he recommended. Long story short, I dropped about $500 on a really sub par setup. Here comes the funny part..... I went in to return a power head and forgot my receipt at home. I live literally 5 minutes away. The manager working at the time told me she could look up my receipt for me, so I said great! She came back 5 minutes later and handed me a printed copy of my receipt and then told me she could only give me store credit. I politely asked if she could make an exception I could prove I had made the purchase and had the card on me (same one on the receipt) and when she said no, without any decent reasonI gave her the option either help me out this one time or I'd be back with my receipt and everything on it. She took me up on the latter and to her surprise, I returned the whole load.

During this process, I found [MENTION=3169]ReefPlus[/MENTION] and went in for some advice. That is when I got my hands on my first real saltwater tank. Steve, gave me a great deal on a 40b, drilled it for me, and gave me advice on setting up a sump. I left there only spending a little bit more than Petco, with a solid starter system. During that store visit, I went from wanting SW fish to a full reef tank. Since then I have had quite a few set ups. I think I enjoy the build way to much.. I'm starting to now enjoy the grow out with my newly added dosers and SPS/LPS colonies!

anarchy

Hmm, well I always remember having a little 10 gallon with under gravel filters with a number of random freshwater fish when I was a lot younger. When I got to college, I set up a 55 gallon freshwater tank with some knife fish and some other randoms. That tank eventually was turned into a Piranha tank which I sold to a LFS when I moved back home.

What got me into Saltwater was going to the Shedd Aquarium. Some of the different fish species were so cool to look at. So I went to a local Petco store and asked the guy working there what he recommended. Long story short, I dropped about $500 on a really sub par setup. Here comes the funny part..... I went in to return a power head and forgot my receipt at home. I live literally 5 minutes away. The manager working at the time told me she could look up my receipt for me, so I said great! She came back 5 minutes later and handed me a printed copy of my receipt and then told me she could only give me store credit. I politely asked if she could make an exception I could prove I had made the purchase and had the card on me (same one on the receipt) and when she said no, without any decent reasonI gave her the option either help me out this one time or I'd be back with my receipt and everything on it. She took me up on the latter and to her surprise, I returned the whole load.

During this process, I found [MENTION=3169]ReefPlus[/MENTION] and went in for some advice. That is when I got my hands on my first real saltwater tank. Steve, gave me a great deal on a 40b, drilled it for me, and gave me advice on setting up a sump. I left there only spending a little bit more than Petco, with a solid starter system. During that store visit, I went from wanting SW fish to a full reef tank. Since then I have had quite a few set ups. I think I enjoy the build way to much.. I'm starting to now enjoy the grow out with my newly added dosers and SPS/LPS colonies!
Same! I love the build it's my favorite part, but am starting to love the grow out

pscheel

I used to catch goldfish at the old Riverview pond that used to be at Roscoe and Western. While most kids were playing in their little plastic pools, I dug a hole in the backyard and put my pool in there and added the goldfish. My parents weren't too happy with me digging up the backyard lol. So on my birthday they bought me a 10 gallon which I used for tropical fish. A few years later I decided to get in to saltwater fish so I set up a FOWLR then decided I wasn't spending enough money and decided to go full reef lol. Over 40 years in the hobby and still love it and still learning.

Mjl714

The wife, what luck.

I've been keeping fish only satlwater tanks for 30+ yrs. Over the years I dragged the wife through many a lfs, looking for various specimens, and just looking. Several years ago the reef tanks started catching our eyes, but we had triggers and others aggressive species in our 75g that we thought were not reef safe, nor did we understand exactly what was involved in reef tanks. One day, the wife said why don't we just change the 20g tank (freshwater at the time) in the kitchen to a reef tank, and that was that. Small scale seemed like good place to start and learn. After many challenges, most of which you all have experienced, we have achieved an acceptable level of success. This 20g is now a thriving reef with lps, sps, and shrimps. In fact, we've grown some coral species so much we've moved / fragged these specimens into our newer 75g reef tank.

Eddie79

Premium member
I took a trip to Indonesia and Malaysia just over two years ago. While there, my girlfriend and I took a 3 day remote island snorkeling cruise. I saw some of the most beautiful fish/reefs that I have ever seen. When I got home I had to have a "small piece of the ocean" in our living room. The girlfriend regrets ever setting up that trip. She has somewhat come around to having the tank but only when things are doing great and the tank is clean. I want to thank everyone who has helped me along the way. There are some great folks on this website!