Wiz's Koi Pond

Fish_wiz2

Summer is here and my koi pond is in full swing. A little different from a reef but... :) Enjoy!

Vid of my babies chowing on some Watermelon:

Feel free to comment or ask questions. I love koi. Hoping to meet more koi enthusiasts.

Joe5688

looks awesome, my dad has a farily big pond in his backyard. I've been wanting one but new house is coming in a few years so it's on hold lol

Fish_wiz2

looks awesome, my dad has a farily big pond in his backyard. I've been wanting one but new house is coming in a few years so it's on hold lol
Thanks! It's worth it once you are settled, this pond (well the liner as I changed it over the years) is going on 5 years. Koi are growing with me.

This looks awesome! Wish I had koi instead of just goldfish

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's a lot more work and money my man. Goldies can live through anything (not that I would put them through bad conditions). Koi on the other hand.... Like the SPS of reefs.

It is very nice pond Kelvin more nature if plant will cover skimmer cap
Thanks! And I can't Minh, I clean my skimmer every other day and it needs to be accessible.

I could sit there with a beer and cigar for hrs watching that pond
Haha, it's definitely an attraction, guests love it and I do bonfires by it all the time.

Very nice!

Thanks! Is your pond still up Sara?

SaraB

Thanks! Is your pond still up Sara?
I left it behind when I moved 4 years ago ☹

I do have a little water feature here now for sound, but I've got a new pond plan in mind that I can hopefully do next spring. It won't be another 6,500G...but way smaller!!!

Fish_wiz2

I left it behind when I moved 4 years ago ☹

I do have a little water feature here now for sound, but I've got a new pond plan in mind that I can hopefully do next spring. It won't be another 6,500G...but way smaller!!!

6500! Mine is less then half of that! Would kill for a pond that size! Keep me updated on your new pond, would love to connect with other koi keepers in our area.

SaraB

6500! Mine is less then half of that! Would kill for a pond that size! Keep me updated on your new pond, would love to connect with other koi keepers in our area.
That was my 3rd rendition on the Pond, so I went big!

There is the Midwest Koi and Pond Society that is active in the area. The Koi Show is next weekend and they do a huge Pond tour in late July too.

I have not been active since the move, but I'd recommend joining or at least hitting the show next weekend and seeing the members ponds on the 2 tour weekends.

http://mpks.org/wp/

Fish_wiz2

Looks great! What do you do for the winter? drill a hole and ice fish?
Haha I go to the lake for that. But I cut off all my pumps, drain my pipes, and let a small air pump run with the air stone about 8" from the surface. That's it.

madjoe

Premium member
So im gonna do it i need a pond lol . So filtration wise did u build your own or buy one

Fish_wiz2

So im gonna do it i need a pond lol . So filtration wise did u build your own or buy one
Build my mans. The cheap junk you buy off places like Drs. Foster & Smith, petsolution, etc are not user friendly while the high end stuff costs literally a car to buy.

Skimmer + Retro Bottom Drain -> Leaf Basket -> Pondmaster external 5000gph pump -> 25 watt AquaUV -> Shower filter -> Foam Fractionator -> Waterfall

Last edited:

Fish_wiz2

Haven't updated this in awhile. A few things:

Summer full swing:

Fall:

Today I finally got the winter clean out done for the kiddos:

fishtank44

You are worked hard do you bring all fishs to inside during winter times?
I am never ever clean up bottom pond in my old pond in 12years well because I keep water Lily bucket set and stayed in bottom pond
Lily root came out of bucket and went over and cover bottom pond , I though some fresh water mussels and snail in to help clean up my pond and water I am missing my pond lol.
You got alot of beautiful Kois and colors so bright good job my friend.

madjoe

Premium member
Haven't updated this in awhile. A few things:

Summer full swing:

Fall:

Today I finally got the winter clean out done for the kiddos:

Those r beautiful coy u have my pond is tiny but took all the fish out already also they in the house in a 75 gallon i swear i didnt have this many before lol