wp40 and sps

Bowhunter4250

im running 2 wp40's and was going to add 2 wp25's on my 180 , i have a mixed reef with mostly sps .. my wp40,s are currently on a "wave" mode , was wondering what the best "mode" for sps would be ? wave , straight direct current on a on/off cycle ? curious to what others that are using these power heads and have SPS what their setting is ? mine are on wave for 5 min alternating from left to right , want to try to make sure i have enough flow for SPS
thanks

ColaAddict

I use the else/random mode on my RW/WP mostly because I have a corner overflow and wave mode sucks when you have a corner overflow. Else mode also allows your powerhead to last longer, wave mode (start/stop) shortens the life of the powerhead. my SPS are all happy with the else/random mode.

Bowhunter4250

i use the else/random mode on my rw/wp mostly because i have a corner overflow and wave mode sucks when you have a corner overflow. Else mode also allows your powerhead to last longer, wave mode (start/stop) shortens the life of the powerhead. My sps are all happy with the else/random mode.
sweet ! I will change mine and see what the differance is ? Are you able to turn the strength up more ?

ColaAddict

The strength varies, but goes all the way to full. Try it, you might like it more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SkullV

I use the else/random mode on my RW/WP mostly because I have a corner overflow and wave mode sucks when you have a corner overflow. Else mode also allows your powerhead to last longer, wave mode (start/stop) shortens the life of the powerhead. my SPS are all happy with the else/random mode.
Do you have any evidence regarding a shortened pump life on wave mode with a DC powerhead? Not saying it isn't possible, especially with jebaos, but would like to see some examples if you have them.

As far as best mode for SPS, they love chaotic flow in our tanks, but in the ocean it's a laminar chaotic flow meaning it is all in one direction or the other depending on the tide. In my tank since I have multople powerheads I run them all on different modes to get as random a flow as possible. One is in short pulse (W1), one is in constant flow (H1), and one is in else mode. All three are on S1 or the highest speed. All of my sps seem to love it and have excellent polyp extension and growth.

ColaAddict

I just figured anything with a motor would have a shortened life if all they do is start/stop.

SkullV

I just figured anything with a motor would have a shortened life if all they do is start/stop.

Since it's a wound electromagnet with no mechanical stop like an AC pump (Koralia), I don't believe that is the case. Its not like a car where another mechanical piece is required to forcibly turn over the impeller to start. I wonder what kind of testing EcoTech or Tunze has done.

ColaAddict

Do you have any evidence regarding a shortened pump life on wave mode with a DC powerhead? Not saying it isn't possible, especially with jebaos, but would like to see some examples if you have them.

As far as best mode for SPS, they love chaotic flow in our tanks, but in the ocean it's a laminar chaotic flow meaning it is all in one direction or the other depending on the tide. In my tank since I have multople powerheads I run them all on different modes to get as random a flow as possible. One is in short pulse (W1), one is in constant flow (H1), and one is in else mode. All three are on S1 or the highest speed. All of my sps seem to love it and have excellent polyp extension and growth.
Do u have all the power heads facing the same direction? I might try that.

SkullV

Do u have all the power heads facing the same direction? I might try that.

I don't, I wish I did though. I'm going to replace one of my WP10s with a WP25 this weekend hopefully and then I should be able to keep only two powerheads. At that point they would both be in the same direction on else mode.

Bowhunter4250

I don't, I wish I did though. I'm going to replace one of my WP10s with a WP25 this weekend hopefully and then I should be able to keep only two powerheads. At that point they would both be in the same direction on else mode.
I have 2 wp40's on a 180 , one on each end , was going to add 2 wp25's one in each corner for more of random flow ... Is it better to have just the wp40's together on one side ? I thought you wanted flow in all directions ? What's the benefit of having just on one side ?

Thanks

SkullV

I have 2 wp40's on a 180 , one on each end , was going to add 2 wp25's one in each corner for more of random flow ... Is it better to have just the wp40's together on one side ? I thought you wanted flow in all directions ? What's the benefit of having just on one side ?

Thanks
No benefit really. It would replicate the ocean better as the ocean flow is relatively laminar depending on which way the tide is going at the time. I just want all my equipment on one side since it's a peninsula tank.

Siebo

Premium member
Well I switched my rw 15's to have both on one end. I will take a video and post. So far I like it.

ColaAddict

Well I switched my rw 15's to have both on one end. I will take a video and post. So far I like it.
I actually tried that before, but started moving all the sand on the other side of the tank :) because of heavy flow.