Wrasse Laying on. Side

wrasse

Hey guys, looking for ideas what's going on .
My yellow tail wrasse is going around the tank laying on his side laying down in the sand but only burying himself halfway. He is pretty thin. My other fish in tank are Doing well. So any ideas what might be going on what might the usual suspects be ?

#theMatrix

Is this a new fish? Recenctly added?
Many times ime when a wrasse does that or any fish can mean either its starting to develop dropsy and cant stay afloat. Or if it was decompressed and needled in a hurry

Any marks on it? Sometimes they will have a mark where they were speared. (True story)

When mine layed on its side...acting eradic the previous week lead to death.

Usually 1 or 1.5 months after getting it

wrasse

No I've had him for little over a year I got a Redtail at the same time and he's doing great he never sleeps and eats all the time.

madjoe

Premium member
Treatment?
Only treatment really is prazi pro but its best if its eating even then i find that a week med and unless treated super early usually dont solve the issue fast enough . I always windered if dog heart worm pill crushed to look like food would work but never had nerve to try u can prazi whole tank but best if ingested theres stronger meds but i forget name and have no clue where or even if u can get it maybe somebody else knows a stronger med but skinny and bot burying is no good usually death follows quickly. Those wrasses also are hard to keep fat because there small mouths they cant eat as fast as other fish so usually dont get there fair share good luck and sorry

wrasse

He died the other night.
The other fish in the tank seems great.

What treatments would work best for in tank treatment of other fish?
Just to see if they have a problem or preventative measure.

Fresh water Dip?
or This

View attachment 18857

New life spectrum hex shield is a life-saving medicated fish food that works from the inside out to battle Hexamita and Spironucleus, as well as other wasting diseases caused by intestinal parasites. These 1 mm sinking pellets also feature a highly concentrated nutrition profile to support the health and well-being of your fish. to Entice ailing fish that are less inclined to accept food, hex shield pellets offer an exceptionally palatable taste. They contain all-natural ingredients to mask the infused medication and will not induce stress or suppress appetites when used as directed. new Life spectrum hex shield pellets are equally effective in treating freshwater and marine fish and not impact the health or efficiency of your aquarium's biological filter. Made in the USA.

Thanks

madjoe

Premium member
If u have lots of wrasses prazi pro might be good I actually use metro and focus in my frozen food every day .

#theMatrix

[MENTION=3377]wrasse[/MENTION]
I purchased hex shield. It contains a type of chloroquine in the pellets. BUT im unsure as to how much is actually in each or if which ones have it. Some pellets are bronze others are brown. So im unsure as to which fish is receiving the medication or how much its getting. It does claim that if pellets end up not eaten it can kill off algae in a bad way as cloroquine phosphate is an alagacide and will reak havock in a reef.

So with that said. Couple pellets went in my clam and im very glad it was the pellets that didnt contain any medicine.

What i do is. I turn off the powerheads and with a feeder i place acouple at a time so they get eaten and toss in some more. This is more of a maintenance with ick rather than taking care of the problem. Its a way of maitaning the diesease not curing it.

So with that said. Im going fallow in the next 3 months.

wrasse

[MENTION=3377]wrasse[/MENTION]
I purchased hex shield. It contains a type of chloroquine in the pellets. BUT im unsure as to how much is actually in each or if which ones have it. Some pellets are bronze others are brown. So im unsure as to which fish is receiving the medication or how much its getting. It does claim that if pellets end up not eaten it can kill off algae in a bad way as cloroquine phosphate is an alagacide and will reak havock in a reef.

So with that said. Couple pellets went in my clam and im very glad it was the pellets that didnt contain any medicine.

What i do is. I turn off the powerheads and with a feeder i place acouple at a time so they get eaten and toss in some more. This is more of a maintenance with ick rather than taking care of the problem. Its a way of maitaning the diesease not curing it.

So with that said. Im going fallow in the next 3 months.
Yikes
Thanks
I am not even sure if I have a problem, so good to know.

#theMatrix

So as [MENTION=1217]madjoe[/MENTION] says. Yes probably all wild fish may have it but some have a better immune system or their skin may be better suited to not get parasites attached.

I have one fish who has signs so i will be removing that fish. And everyother fish in there for 3months my DT will be fallow. I will medicate the fish with cloroquine phosphate one and done..after 30 days the fish will be cured of ich and i will do a tank transfer to a new system they will be there for 2 months to complete the fallow period and onto the DT.

For incoming fish i will only add ONE fish at a time and will be medicated with chloroquine phosphate for 30 days prior to going into the DT.
This should have been done since last year.

madjoe

Premium member
Wrasse i wouldnt worry to much if rest of fish r ok like i said about 80 percent of wrasses have internals its just the nature since most r scavenging in rocks to find food and probably eat some of the parasites i owned tons or wrasses and had really good luck since i started treating for internals as soon as i get em weather they show signs or not as a precaution. Yellow tangs seem to have em bad too anthias angels and butterflies i fw dip cause most have flukes . I guess through the decade of haveing a reef i have just found ways to treat certain fish for certain things . Besides some jumpers while doing tank maintenance and one carivoriuos attack i havent suffered many fish loses in long time . Oh and going fallow has failed me plenty of times from what ive read over the years ich is like chicken pox most fish carry the virus and it lays dormant stress brings it out . Ive found acclimation boxes help ten fold on stress and fish fights also makeing sure fish is eating and fat before going into dt then running a undersized uv in running 18w now helps keep the ich numbers down and feeding fish everyday with prepared medicated food every day helps them fight it . I buy a pound of mysis and pound of spirlina brine let defrost in fridge mix in a bottle of metro and bottle of focus mix all together put back in the bags they come in pout the bags on a cutting board stick back in freezer this way i have medicated food on hand . Ive also read that it kills internals too . Hope it helps