Wrasse stocking for a 50 cube with about 15 gallon sump

tinman

i love wrasses but dont have much idea about them .. except for keeping a six line wrasse.

the tank i am upgrading to gives me options to put some wrasses in there .. here are the details

50 Gallon Cube
15-16 gallon sump
180 gallon rated skimmer

there will be sand but dont want the fish to cover my chalices with sand.

current list would be 2 clowns and a midas moving from the old tank.

What are my options as far as wrasses go, thinking of getting a blue star or ornate leapord wrasse. can i put more wrasses in there ?

madjoe

Premium member
Leopards stay pretty small u can put a pair in there or get pair of flame fairys the biggest issue with wrasses is internal parasites get one that eats and treat with orazi even if its fine just in case. Oh and i noticed when i had all my fairys if u do a bunch if males dont add a female it ends with a bunch of 200$ dead fish :(

tinman

Leopards stay pretty small u can put a pair in there or get pair of flame fairys the biggest issue with wrasses is internal parasites get one that eats and treat with orazi even if its fine just in case. Oh and i noticed when i had all my fairys if u do a bunch if males dont add a female it ends with a bunch of 200$ dead fish :(
Nice so I can put a pair ( as in male female ) or 2 leapords ( like a ornate and blue star )?

Thanks joe, forgot you are the wrasse expert :)

madjoe

Premium member
Nice so I can put a pair ( as in male female ) or 2 leapords ( like a ornate and blue star )?

Thanks joe, forgot you are the wrasse expert :)
Either or but if u dont add same time u need a aclimation box so they can see each ither but not kill. Some take few days longest was a week once the one in tnk can swim pst box without attacking u good to go. Btw seems like ornates get picked on the most i had to give mine to jerk but my other four r good

Jep21

If it was my tank i would choose two of the following fishes.. All these are great and beautiful fish.. A lot of personality..

Melanarus wrasse
Yellow coris wrasse
Radiant wrasse
Blue star leopard wrassse
Potters wrasse
Regular leopard wrasse
Ornate wrasse
Cosmetus wrasse

If i had to choose from the list i would get a blue star leopard and a cosmetus wrasse

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tinman

If it was my tank i would choose two of the following fishes.. All these are great and beautiful fish.. A lot of personality..

Melanarus wrasse
Yellow coris wrasse
Radiant wrasse
Blue star leopard wrassse
Potters wrasse
Regular leopard wrasse
Ornate wrasse
Cosmetus wrasse

If i had to choose from the list i would get a blue star leopard and a cosmetus wrasse

Your choice looks good buddy, thanks for the advice

tinman

Either or but if u dont add same time u need a aclimation box so they can see each ither but not kill. Some take few days longest was a week once the one in tnk can swim pst box without attacking u good to go. Btw seems like ornates get picked on the most i had to give mine to jerk but my other four r good
Yea I think I'll get a leopard and and a flasher wrasse or a cosmetus wrasse

Thanks joe

madjoe

Premium member

Regular leopard wrasse

Which one is regular ?

Jep21

If u really want something fancy.. Get one of these tin

The choati leopard wrasse.. I always wanted one but the price on these guys have always stopped me

tinman

too expensive for me Jep ..

luna was talking about them yesterday .. even that Kuiter's wrasse ..males are stupid pricey ..
If u really want something fancy.. Get one of these tin

The choati leopard wrasse.. I always wanted one but the price on these guys have always stopped me

ultimatemj

It depends if you care more about "possible pest control help" or avoiding sandbed/chalice frustrations.

Leos are great for eating certain snails, tubeworms, hermit crabs, shrimp, and such; but being a chalice guy I'd suggest Flasher/Fairy wrasses (Cirrhilabrus & Paracheilinus), as they sleep in mucous cocoons. Which is the main reason I haven't tried a Choati...

That said, there are plenty of awesome Flasher/Fairy choices, like my Cirrhilabrus Johnsoni :)
View attachment 4598

Complete model citizen and always an entertainer!

One thing though...flashers don't "do their thing" without a female...at least not as much. Here is an (overly photo shopped) image off the web of a johnsoni flashing. You can see the "peacock" like difference when flashing.
View attachment 4599

PIA has a sale going on right now (20% off) and someone sniped the incredible Belle's they had up there, but there is a really nice Hawaiian flame pair still there!
Good hunting!

tinman

i am going to get a coris wrasse anyway so pest control wont be a problem ( and i thought leapord do a little of that too)

flasher wrasses are nice looking at them too..

damn have a lot to read about them, thanks mj
It depends if you care more about "possible pest control help" or avoiding sandbed/chalice frustrations.

Leos are great for eating certain snails, tubeworms, hermit crabs, shrimp, and such; but being a chalice guy I'd suggest Flasher/Fairy wrasses (Cirrhilabrus & Paracheilinus), as they sleep in mucous cocoons. Which is the main reason I haven't tried a Choati...

That said, there are plenty of awesome Flasher/Fairy choices, like my Cirrhilabrus Johnsoni :)
View attachment 4598

Complete model citizen and always an entertainer!

One thing though...flashers don't "do their thing" without a female...at least not as much. Here is an (overly photo shopped) image off the web of a johnsoni flashing. You can see the "peacock" like difference when flashing.
View attachment 4599

PIA has a sale going on right now (20% off) and someone sniped the incredible Belle's they had up there, but there is a really nice Hawaiian flame pair still there!
Good hunting!