Year long obsession... and counting...

Ruben

I’m now a little over one year into reefing, so thought I would take the opportunity to share my tank.

I started this hobby, somewhat by accident. I originally went to my LFS to pick up a TERRArium (biOrb)... they heard AQUArium... telling me that they had one in stock. Well, I didn’t get what I went for, but walked out with a small bioCube 32. I brought it home, added water and live rock, and I was started with my first tank.

I was remarkably lucky, with a quick cycling of the tank, added pair of clowns, working up to a few small fish and soft corals. That lasted for a couple months, and I knew I needed a larger tank... I’m sharing my story, not a how NOT to spend a bunch of $$ learning by trial and error... ha!

That brings me to my current tank—a Red Sea 425XL. A great base, but more trial and error with equipment:

+Red Sea RSK 600 skimmer
+2x Red Sea ReefLED 50 pendant lights
+2x Jaebo power heads
+1x Jaebo return pump
+1x Jaebo doser

In addition to the tank, I also knew that I needed to set up a mixing station...I spent too much time & effort lugging 5 gallon jugs... nightmare. So, I plumbed 2x 55 gallon Brutes to a Blueline pump in the basement, with a line through the wall cavity into the back of the stand. I also ran a Python tube from the tank, through the same wall cavity down into our utility sink. This set up makes water changes a snap.

Since the original tank equipment list, I’ve made a few upgrades:

+3x Kessil A360s (RS lights way underpowered for my SPS heavy mixed reef goal)
+2x MP40s
+APEX (hard to put a price on automation, real time monitoring, etc.)
+Trident / DOS

That brings me to today... and these pics. The parameters are dialed in, and I’m seeing great coloration and growth. Very rewarding when things are progressing!

For a future post... I need to raise my Ph levels a bit to speed growth, and will supplement my Kessils with some fill light.

**Spoiler... I found out that ReefBrite is introducing brackets compatible with the Kessil rigid mounting arm! It should be available from BRS in March... but I’ll save that for later.

Attachments

Last edited:

oceanfreak09

Very nice!!! I guess the don’t go to fast to quickly doesn’t apply to you. Lol
Everything looks very happy and healthy. Congratulations!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ruben

Very nice!!! I guess the don’t go to fast to quickly doesn’t apply to you. Lol
Everything looks very happy and healthy. Congratulations!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So far, so good. I had one set back late 2020 with an Alk swing, but I’m back (for now... ha!)