Yellow Tang Death

york3rdbase

Premium member
Can anyone enlighten me?

I had a small yellow tang in my tank for a few months. I used to use Rods Fish Food, but recently purchased Reef Frenzy frozen food. For whatever reason, my yellow tang would eat and then go comatose after eating, not every time, but it happened a handful of times. Today, it happened again, but this time it didn’t come out of it. Are they fragile eaters? Am I missing something?

goat585

Administrator
No in general they are not fragile eaters. Were you thawing the food before you were feeding it? Personally I don't like my fish to eat food that has not been completely thawed. Maybe the cold food put the fish into some sort of shock. I only use Rood food but have used Larry's in the past. I did not like Larry's so I use pellets and Rods food only.

york3rdbase

Premium member
I guess I don’t pre thaw my food, just thaw it in the tank as I break it up. None of my other fish in the past have had an issue with that method. If that’s the reason, at least it’s a simple fix, just too bad I lost a fish because of it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

york3rdbase

Premium member
I guess I don’t pre thaw my food, just thaw it in the tank as I break it up. None of my other fish in the past have had an issue with that method. If that’s the reason, at least it’s a simple fix, just too bad I lost a fish because of it

Peaches

Im with you i don’t usually thaw out first i just let it thaw as i feed by hand . Never thought it would be a issue. Maybe spoiled food? Guess its time to thaw before feed . Sorry for your lost

Peaches

No in general they are not fragile eaters. Were you thawing the food before you were feeding it? Personally I don't like my fish to eat food that has not been completely thawed. Maybe the cold food put the fish into some sort of shock. I only use Rood food but have used Larry's in the past. I did not like Larry's so I use pellets and Rods food only.
Larrys always made my skimmer go nuts . So I stopped using as well plus fish didn’t really like it . Rods was always good i mainly use a combo of mysis/brine spirilina that i mix focus and metro into it and freeze.

goat585

Administrator
I know a lot of people that just toss the frozen food in and let the fish eat. It does not make much sense to me as these fish probably will never see anything frozen in their life.

Peaches

I know a lot of people that just toss the frozen food in and let the fish eat. It does not make much sense to me as these fish probably will never see anything frozen in their life.
I don’t exactly just toss it in i keep it in my hand and shake off the defrosted layer until its done . I pay for it sometimes dan triggers bite me lol

york3rdbase

Premium member
I do what Peaches is referring to, break it up in my hand and hand feed. I don’t really like the reef frenzy either, the clam pieces are too large. Going back to Rods after this brick is done. Gonna miss my yellow tang, added some nice color to the tank

york3rdbase

Premium member
That was also a thought. The Tang’s do have small mouths, but my small clowns haven’t had any issues. This was my first tang, so that’s why I’m confused

madjoe

Premium member
That was also a thought. The Tang’s do have small mouths, but my small clowns haven’t had any issues. This was my first tang, so that’s why I’m confused

Ive seen yellow tangs struggle to eat and swallow food when they get internal parasites witch alot seem to have . Might be a possibility it dont sound like you should worry about your other fish but keep eye on them