2.5 gallon pico

mr_z

So after trading away my 12 gallon nano for other stuff I wanted I want a tank again :-(. I don't want anything big. I have a small 2.5 gallon tank I want to make a pico out of. What should I do I have practically forgotten how to start a tank since its been over 2 years since I started my old tank I don't have anymore. What lighting, what to use to circulate water, or filtration, bare bottom better or a bit of sand? How often should I do water change? How much water should I change, what am I limited to having? I don't want clowns what livestock should I get? would two tiny fish be ok? Or maybe a tiny goby with cleaner shrimp? What would be good? I understand a small tank needs more attention and maintenance. Thanks to all you guys in advance. Would
I be better off. Buying bennyblanco's 5gl pico?????????????????????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joe5688

U can pick up one if the deep blue tanks from ap that everyone has been talking about. It's 8" x 8" x 8". a koralia 240 would probably be prefect.

Lighting would be dependent on what u want in the tank.

mr_z

Tcan I get a link to one. I already have the 2.5 that's why I'm wanting to do it I really don't want to buy another tank. As for coral just zoas softies and a Lps or 2. No sps

EricTheRed

No, I'm not a communist..
I just setup a 3G and went with a sand bottom. The tank has a small HOB filter which produces the only flow. I never found a powerhead small enough, but that's not to say one is out there (especially since I didn't put much effort into finding one). Also, since there is no skimmer, You'll need to do weekly wc's to remove organics. I mix up the saltwater in the kids kool-aid pitcher, so about 2 quarts a week, lol.

As far as lighting goes, I had a 9W PC bulb which wasn't enough to keep ricordias happy so I went with a small LED fixture. I was going to put a PAR30 over it but unfortunately the tank was on a shelf and I couldn't raise the PAR30 high enough to avoid a spotlight. I would highly recomend a PAR30 over your tank. I keep a jug of RODI handy and will add about a cup of water every day or every other day to top-off. Other than that, I find it to be a very simple tank to maintain.

Smitty

Premium member
Yeeahhh....my boy is back in the hobby. When you're ready for corals, you can stop by and go shopping in my tank. :)

mr_z

Thanks for the advice eric and hey guys I'm not sure I'm back in or not it's possible but not sure. I have to build a stand for this tiny thing that will double as shelfs high enough to where my girls can't touch it it might end up hanging on the wall Some way. I was thinking a par bulb for lighting is there something smaller than a par 30 or I was thinking custom fixture two cool white LEDs and two royal blue and get a timer on the both issue would be a driver suitable for just two leds. or maybe one of the six led Nuvo skyyelight fixtures if I can get a good deal. I don't doubt those would be enough for some softies and zoas.

EricTheRed

No, I'm not a communist..
I ordered my PAR30 from Coral Compulsion and I'm pretty sure the only weaker leds I saw were the ones for macro algae but I don't think they had the spectrum you'd want over a tank.

mr_z

I saw those Im still trying to decide so I'll see what happens

bennyblanco

Would I be better off. Buying bennyblanco's 5gl pico?????????????????????

YES YOU WOULD BE! (haha!) :)

I think I might have a buyer for it off of craigslist so you know what that means.....I'll either be murdered or stood up.

mr_z

lol I kinda wanted it since its everything but I'm still debating if I should start up a tank