28 Gal nano lighting question

CoralN00b

My jbj nano is used and it has the Hqi metal halide system. I've seen a few people's tanks on here and i love the actinics on the LED systems. My question is can i add actinics to my tank? I want that glow effect of the corals.

I am still considering switching to the LED hood too.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Green0j0s

I just ordered myself the Rapidled kit to convert my hood to full LED. It was just under $300. I'm still waiting for it to arrive but when it gets here I'll take some pictures of the before and after.

CoralN00b

So after some heavy research, i am going to order some stunner strips.

Now i have two questions. Someone told me at ecoexotic, that their stunners are really just blue LED lights with higher wattage than moonlights. Is this true?

If so, i am thinking of going with two or three pico strips. I have a 28 gal nano cube with the hood so i was going to mount one on each side and one in front. All pretty far from my halide bulb and i can attach them all together. Thoughts?

I was thinking of turning the actinics on at 10am, then off at noon when my halides come on. My halides will run until 8 or 10 pm, then my actinics on for 2 hours again and then my moonlights all night. That gives me 12 - 14 hours of lights total and then 10 - 12 hours of moonlights.

I figured that is the best way to simulate the natural light in the ocean. Then again, i am a n00b and could be completely wrong. What do you guys think?

CoralN00b

Any advice or thoughts on my light schedule or idea above?

Also, can anybody confirm that actinics are true blue LEDs or are they a specific LED?

tinman

in Green :D

I have a 28 gal nano cube with the hood so i was going to mount one on each side and one in front. All pretty far from my halide bulb and i can attach them all together. Thoughts?

if they are higher wattage but with out actual par then they are no good for corals and are just for viewing pleasure AFAIK

I was thinking of turning the actinics on at 10am, then off at noon when my halides come on. My halides will run until 8 or 10 pm, then my actinics on for 2 hours again and then my moonlights all night. That gives me 12 - 14 hours of lights total and then 10 - 12 hours of moonlights.

Depending on your MH wattage 10 hours of photoperiod is way too long, you would idealy need like 6-7 hours of MH lighting if its a good enough light

CoralN00b

Thanks Tin....

I have a 14,000 watt bulb on the 150 Watt HQI system. So I am guessing the 6 - 7 hours is sufficient?

Also, I only want the actinics for the coral pop of the colors and viewing of that. I understand it helps with their natural light cycle of dusk and dawn so would I need to look into the par to help with that?

tinman

In Red

Thanks Tin....

I have a 14,000 watt bulb on the 150 Watt HQI system. So I am guessing the 6 - 7 hours is sufficient?

Yep 7 hours is plenty

Also, I only want the actinics for the coral pop of the colors and viewing of that. I understand it helps with their natural light cycle of dusk and dawn so would I need to look into the par to help with that?

Par of actinics is not required.. if there is any corals get better coloration. if not then its fine too .. they dont care about dimming or natural cycle. its Good for viewing though ..
if they are too bright then just make sure corals have some around 10 hours or so dark period. This again is all As far as i know ...

CoralN00b

Thanks for the info tin. I am going to post in the lighting section too to get some more opinions but I am sure it will match yours. Thanks again man!