Alk ?

madjoe

Premium member
So tank has been running for while now seems to have settled in clams and chalices r doing great my regal angel and ccb and cb r doing great to sps on the other hand well not so great bleaching out alk is high almost 10 then few did die i only had like 4 test pieces so like two died from temp spike my dumb azz forget to set chiller and tank was cooking other day lol oops . So question is how the hell can i lower alk i havent done any water changes hopeing corals would use some but no dice yet . I use fritz so water cahnge will probably raise it only thing i can think of is buy cheap azz salt like instant ocean and do water changes. Anyone else have any ideas

labas39

In my opinion, 10 isn't high, it's within the range. I've had mine as high as 13 w/ no noticeable effects. Lately, I've been striving for 11.

maidia

Team CR
So tank has been running for while now seems to have settled in clams and chalices r doing great my regal angel and ccb and cb r doing great to sps on the other hand well not so great bleaching out alk is high almost 10 then few did die i only had like 4 test pieces so like two died from temp spike my dumb azz forget to set chiller and tank was cooking other day lol oops . So question is how the hell can i lower alk i havent done any water changes hopeing corals would use some but no dice yet . I use fritz so water cahnge will probably raise it only thing i can think of is buy cheap azz salt like instant ocean and do water changes. Anyone else have any ideas
Fritz salt are low on alk but high in Mag...I think.

labas39

If i had higher nutrients it maybe ok but i need to get under 8
I have very low nutrients and high alk w/ no issues. I've heard that high alk burns the coral tips. I'd think of other causes as well.

If, however, you're only interested in reducing your alk, I believe alk is consumed more during the photosynthetic period so maybe keeping your lights on longer will drop it slowly.

madjoe

Premium member
Madjoe, you think 10 is to high? I started using Kalk to keep 450/9-10
10 is high works is some tanks not in others

- - - Updated - - -

I have very low nutrients and high alk w/ no issues. I've heard that high alk burns the coral tips. I'd think of other causes as well.

If, however, you're only interested in reducing your alk, I believe alk is consumed more during the photosynthetic period so maybe keeping your lights on longer will drop it slowly.
Listen i know theres other factors what ties the factors together is the alk if i get lower alk the other factors dont matter

madjoe

Premium member
I keep mine at about 10. no problems.. Wonder if it is just your temp spike?
Temp spike definitely caused the tissue lose but they bleached weeks ago was still alive but bleached . Anyways i will just google til i find a answer to my question like always people use to have answers here thats long gone