Aqueon Evolve 8 Nano Reef Build

SkullV

If you want to try a par38 give jimmy at coral compulsion a ring. He's a sponsor here. Tank looks good by the way.

bennersk8

If you want to try a par38 give jimmy at coral compulsion a ring. He's a sponsor here. Tank looks good by the way.
Thank you! Just checked out Coral Compulsion's website and this seems like the route I'm gonna go. Im thinking about dipping my toes into a little SPS, so which bulb do you think would be better suited for the tank? The full spectrum 24watt LED 14k or the the 20k?

SkullV

I'm a big fan of blue, and I think CCs full spectrum is too white/red for my taste. I'd go with the 20k.

bennersk8

Man this hobby is addicting. Went to xzotic aquatic in Bensenville the other day and picked up a huge blasto and a hammer frag (although I think it's a torch, maybe someone on here can tell me which one it is). Gotta love their awesome little $20 frag tank when you walk in. Their new place is massive and they have tons of beautiful fish and coral.

bennersk8

View attachment 3164

Ok, I know I was going to go the Coral Compulsion route, but I couldn't pass up this deal on Ebay for a Rapid LED Par 38 w/ UV and the clamp. So far it looks great! Looks a lot bluer in the picture. I'd say its more of a purple-ish blue to the eye.

bennersk8

Got these palys from SkullV (Ted) yesterday and they seem very happy! Had to drive an hour and a half to get these guys….haha j/k more like 20 steps to cross the street. Didn't know we lived across the street from each other this entire time! Thanks again SkullV! Its nice to another fellow reef neighbor!

bennersk8

Went to Lockport last week to get some stuff from John (TopWater). Man, I could seriously spend hours down there staring at his beautiful tanks! Anyways, I picked up a frag pack consisting of birds nest, blue stag horn, green and red monti, green+blue+velvet mushrooms, organ, GSP, zoas, kenya tree, and I think that's it lol. Here's some pics. Sorry every things a little iffy cause I just did a WC. Heading to the Dells tomorrow to boat and drink beer! Take Care! Thanks again TopWater!

SkullV

Looking good Ben, one of these days I'll have to walk all the way across the street and check this little tank out. Seems like you're pretty happy with the CREE Par38 from Rapid?

bennersk8

Looking good Ben, one of these days I'll have to walk all the way across the street and check this little tank out. Seems like you're pretty happy with the CREE Par38 from Rapid?
Haha you definitely do! I'm usually always outside on the deck drinking a beer if I'm not working! Feel free to shoot me a text whenever! As for the rapid bulb, happy so far with it and most of my corals are liking it. My duncan coral started splitting like crazy as soon as I hooked it up and my zoa frags are growing as well. The only thing I wish was that the bulb could be a little more bluer. Other than that, no complaints. Thinking about maybe adding another par bulb in the future with only blue leds to make the corals pop.

SkullV

It's not as easy as with the chinese bulbs, but you CAN swap out chips in that bulb for a bluer look.

bennersk8

Welp, got home today and noticed some xenia was touching my blue staghorn and now it looks like the stag is peeling away from the base. Not sure if the xenia caused this or its getting bleached out? I've also scene at times the @sshole emerald crab picking away at the stag as well…..he needs a new home.

bennersk8

Man, the spaghetti worms I have pretty much wiped out my whole colony of dragon eyes . I'm gonna take SkullV ' s advice and try to feed less and hope they die. If not, maybe try some zap tasia on them...