Battery backup

xmoji

Eat, Sleep, Reef
So ComEd is planning a power shut down next week for a couple hours. I’ve never dealt with a battery backup before. What do you guys suggest? I’m looking for something plug and play so that I can run my return pump and one powerhead during the shut down.. If you have one I can borrow I’d be willing to pay or trade.

ultimatemj

Most UPS battery backups are designed to support the time needed to save and shutdown...maybe an hour, and not a lot of (amperage) load.

Plus you never know how long ComEd will actually take...

When they did that in my neighborhood, I rented a Honda EU2000 generator from SunBeltRentals for $65 (for 24hrs). It was quiet, small, had plenty of power. If I had the "extra cash", and thought I'd use it more than once or twice a year, I'd buy one just to have around!

With it I was able to run everything (2 extension cords - one to the basement sump and one to the powerstrip under the tank for lights and power heads). No stress what so ever :)

Last edited:

xmoji

Eat, Sleep, Reef
That sounds like a great option the problem is I live in a condo complex and am not allowed to have anything that emits exhaust like that because the buildings are close to each other. I talked to comed and he thinks max 1 1/2 hrs but more than likely only 45 minutes. They’re redoing the connections for power to our building

ultimatemj

I'm not aware of anything that will run a return pump for any length of time...doesn't mean there isn't something, I just haven't found it.

A cheap battery operated airpump and airstone is an easy option to keep the water aerated.

And it looks like you have a Vortech power head, the vortech-battery-backup is a nice option to have in place for when you are not home and not told a power outage is coming. Pro: You don't have to do anything, it comes on when the power goes out. Con: They seem to lose their ability to hold a charge after 2 to 3 years. There are DIY threads out there showing how to replace a dead battery for ~$40.

xmoji

Eat, Sleep, Reef
Thank you guys for your suggestions! I was looking up the vortech battery backup through the brs site and the shipping that is affordable and quick is cutting it close, Monday delivery. I called Tank It Easy and they have some in their warehouse and will have in their shop tomorrow for pick up.

I should have done this a long time ago but never thought much about. Considering how much time effort and money is in the tank it’s best to finally get one.

ultimatemj

I have an older version of this: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/apc-back-ups-pro-1350va-battery-back-up-system-black/6165878.p?skuId=6165878

When I get home tonight I'll let you know what the current length of time it will do on battery.
Presuming xmoji is still running the Sicce Syncra Silent 3.0 pump (around 50watts), it looks like that model would last for about 90min.

That said, if you are willing to spend some coin ($450ish), they have some models that will last 6 or 7 hours! Granted they require a piggy back battery to extend the duration (APC Power Saving Back-UPS Pro 1500 BR1500G + BR24BP)

Last edited:

Sawdonkey

Premium member
I currently get 47 minutes of runtime, and I have a Jebaeo DC9000, a Gyre, and an MP10 on it. The battery is also like 5-6 years old.
Is that even worth having the battery backup? Do you have apex? Isn’t there a way to set it so when apex senses lack of power, it taps the battery and only runs one pump on low? I think you have to buy an extra cable?

I’m about to set this up soon. I got a APC 1500 900W backup from my boss.

madjoe

Premium member
When i lived in a apartment i bought a power inverter and plugged my pump into it and ran my truck lol. Tank of gas was cheaper then lossing my stuff did have to use long extension cord lol

xmoji

Eat, Sleep, Reef
When i lived in a apartment i bought a power inverter and plugged my pump into it and ran my truck lol. Tank of gas was cheaper then lossing my stuff did have to use long extension cord lol
Lol this is awesome!!!

Is that even worth having the battery backup? Do you have apex? Isn’t there a way to set it so when apex senses lack of power, it taps the battery and only runs one pump on low? I think you have to buy an extra cable?

I’m about to set this up soon. I got a APC 1500 900W backup from my boss.
I don't have an Apex. I have a RKL, and have that power strip plugged into the battery part. Rarely do I ever have outages where I live now, so the battery mainly helps keep the power stable.

xmoji

Eat, Sleep, Reef
Happy to report the Ecotech battery backup worked perfectly during the power shut. No losses at all and the unit worked perfectly. Im glad I made the purchase now I have the peace of mind that it will work if there was ever another shut down, planned or unplanned.

Mjl714

What were you able to keep running and for how long?

Happy to report the Ecotech battery backup worked perfectly during the power shut. No losses at all and the unit worked perfectly. Im glad I made the purchase now I have the peace of mind that it will work if there was ever another shut down, planned or unplanned.