Best Fish Stores Near Downtown Chicago?

Dornenkrone

Hi I'm looking for some new fish stores to explore around the downtown area that have quality fish and corals but aren't overpriced. Anyone have any suggestions?

rosko23

Was gonna recommend old town until u said not overpriced. Not much in downtown area. Old town has real nice things, just very very expensive

amaysing

Joey,

I live in the loop as well. Old Town Aquarium is always a good option, it is a bit over priced though. I would also take a look at New Fish, they have a good selection of coral, pretty limited with fish, but all looked very healthy.

tinman

Hi I'm in the loop as well ...

Old town aquarium is very. Ice but pricey .. At the same time always healthy fish

Other than that .. Other good lfs are in subs ... Aquapros, and aquatica are the places I have been to

Golden aquarium .. I always find one fish or the other dead .. So ...

Dornenkrone

Yeah old town is nice that's the only one I've found. Nothing against them at all they are very helpful and I love the store was just wondering if there was anything else I maybe missed. I wish I could check out the suburbs but living in the loop I don't own a car so sadly I'm missing out on whatever is outside of down town.

SkunkerX

Well if you dont mind walking and are not afraid of trains Aquatica is only 1 mile straight down Oak Park ave. from the metra station and Rob's Aquatics is right down 173st street to Harlem a little less than a mile.

Train station is 6700 South St. Tinley Park, IL or basicly 173th & Oak Park Ave.

Aquatica is 16649 S. Oak Park Avenue (UNIT D) Tinley Park, IL 60477

Rob's Aquatics is 17135 Harlem Ave Tinley Park, IL

mr_z

If you decide to come on train come on a Tuesday theres a classic car cruise 200+ cars on oak park ave you can walk with the crowd its from 5pm-9pm aquatica is open till 6 i think

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Arrange something with a local reefer. Many of us make weekly visits to particular spots. Whenever I go to Reefwise, I always visit Aquapros and usually Global Aquatics too since they are basically all along the way.

SkunkerX

Arrange something with a local reefer. Many of us make weekly visits to particular spots. Whenever I go to Reefwise, I always visit Aquapros and usually Global Aquatics too since they are basically all along the way.
Ya I'm always home and never mind going to the local fish stores. Only 10 min away from Aquatica, Rob's Aquatics and Chicago Fish and 15 to 20 away from Reef City.

Dornenkrone

where in the loop are you Joey ?
I'm about a block from the Chicago Theatre.

I really need to check out some of these places, I have a friend near Tinley Park so next time Im with him I'll have to get him to drive over to a few of those places.

reefrat

Agree that Old Town Aquarium is nice but on the pricey side. There's a new shop over by Division and Milwaukee called New Fish. I haven't been there myself or heard much about it though.

tinman

What about New Fish?
i have been to NEw fish a couple of times and i like it ..

fish are reasonably priced and they have a good collection of corals at nice prices too but recently they are not getting any new corals as they are trying to get rid of very bad hair algae and well not much collection in the past few days