Beyond the Reef - What Happened?

So I happened to make one of my bi-yearly trips to Beyond the Reef with my girlfriend, and I was really excited to show her the store since it was always one of the stores with a great selection and lots to look at.

I walked in and first I noticed they remodeled, ok that's cool. It's nice to see stores keep up with the times. I continued going down the first aisle, was amazed by their two huge tanks. I got to the end, and noticed their old maricultured SPS tank was now holding a small amount of random frags. I was like ok, cool.

I continued, and I then noticed, they now have a huge freshwater section. The freshwater tanks looked immaculate. They had also turned one of their huge tanks into a freshwater tank.

I then looked through all the coral tanks against the wall, and all of them had algae issues, with maybe only a couple pieces of coral in each. I went to their former invert section, and a few had dead/decomposing nems, and most other things looked in poor shape.

What happened? I understand wanting to change your store to represent what I'm guessing is a surge in freshwater clients, but they completely let their saltwater side decline to a point where I probably won't go back.

ninjamyst

Premium member
i was there a few weeks ago and the coral selection was very poor. the remodeling looks great though. too bad they don't have any good stocks.