BioCube 29 Questions

msujohn

I’m in the process of buying a 29 gallon bio cube and have several questions. This will be my first salt water tank and I plan to use it for corals and fish. Here is what I am thinking about getting, am I on the right track?
• 25 pounds of dry rock and 5 pounds of live rock – Is 30 pounds enough?
• 20 pounds of sand – not sure what kind to get – don’t want to get a fine sand
• I want to add the additional LED bar’s? Do I get white or blue?
• Wave maker do I get 1 or 2 Jaebo WP 10’s?
• Eheim heater is 125 watt good?
• What test kit do you recommend that I buy?
• What refractometer do I get?

I would appreciate any advice.

dgagvgeg

The stock lights in a biocube can only grow lesser light intensive corals. You will not be able to grow SPS. But there are many DIY LED upgrade kits available, but they cost about $250. I actually have a 29g Biocube brand new still in the box, because I am not sure what I want to do with it yet. As far as sand and rock goes, the good rule of thumb is 1lb per gallon of water. I would use just get a live sand, and depending on how deep you want your sand bed just start pouring it in. There is advantages for having a deeper sand bed. Rock, sounds good, some rock weighs more than other rock, so try to pick more porous rock which will give you plenty of options to mount frags once the tank is cycled. I did most of my test kit/refractometer shopping on amazon. Are you going to make your own salt water for water changes? If so you will need an RO/DI. As far as wave makers go, Hydor Koralia makes good Nano wave makers and they are reasonably priced and use magnets to stick on the tank which is super easy to move around if needed. I would try one first and see how you like it. Once again this is just my two cents, I am far from an expert. I would just suggest to do A LOT OF RESEARCH on the internet about what you want your end game tank to look like and go from there. And remember take it slow, this is not a cheap hobby, but if you are patient it will be worth the wait. Oh ya and welcome to the forum.

Siebo

Premium member
Are you set on a biocube? Would you consider other options? There are some great used set ups out there for cheap. What type of coral are you looking to keep?

msujohn

I'm really interested in the 29 Biocube because it isn't too big or too small (everything is concealed). I don't plan to use a standard tank stand for this either - my wife wants something that looks like it belongs in the room - thus it will be something more fancy, etc. My initial plan is to start with fish only to make sure that I can keep my parameters in line before I move into corals. I'll probalby stick with the basic corals (at least the mosts forgiven in the beginning). Should I skip out on upgrading the LED bars with the biocube and consider upgrading to the DIY LED's? I just worry about how difficult it is to do this upgrade (not to handy). Down the road I may decide to move into a bigger tank - just probably not right off the get go. I also plan to buy a RO/DI - probably the spectrapure refurbished 90gpd one.

dgagvgeg

I'm really interested in the 29 Biocube because it isn't too big or too small (everything is concealed). I don't plan to use a standard tank stand for this either - my wife wants something that looks like it belongs in the room - thus it will be something more fancy, etc. My initial plan is to start with fish only to make sure that I can keep my parameters in line before I move into corals. I'll probalby stick with the basic corals (at least the mosts forgiven in the beginning). Should I skip out on upgrading the LED bars with the biocube and consider upgrading to the DIY LED's? I just worry about how difficult it is to do this upgrade (not to handy). Down the road I may decide to move into a bigger tank - just probably not right off the get go. I also plan to buy a RO/DI - probably the spectrapure refurbished 90gpd one.
You can check this link out http://www.rapidled.com/biocube-29/ , the kits seem pretty easy to put in, and there are many video's and forum posts on doing this. Have you purchased the bio cube yet? I may be interested in selling mine, (still unopened in box) and would save you some bucks.

msujohn

Thanks for the info on the lights. I haven't bought it yet. I want to make sure that this is what I want to get (so doing all the research now). I figured I would buy right around Black Friday - to see if I can take advantage of the pricing at that time. I still have lots to learn.

dgagvgeg

Yes, there is a lot to learn, I would start by figuring out what fish you want and what corals and go from there. Good luck with your build, once you start you should start a build thread here and keep us all updated.

msujohn

[MENTION=1187]Siebo[/MENTION] - it doesn't have to be the biocube, I just need something under 40 gallons that doesn't require a sump. The AIO's seem to be the best options. Unless there is something that I can do with a 40 gallon breeder (that doesn't need a sump). If there are better options I'd like to hear about them.

rmeugene

Premium member
Sorry I am late to this conversation…just wanted to add something about the lighting. Although upgrading is always something to look into I have one of the first 24 gallon JBJ LED's where there are 13 1.3w LED's. I grew ALL types of coral - even SPS. Had to have it up top but I have some that grow like weeds even with those lights. I am definitely NOT looking to start a debate on the lighting thing - just letting you know that although more light will give you more options you can grow things by placing strategically.

qwertymo13

I have Biocube 14 and a lot of the things are similar to the Biocube 29, so here's what I would suggest if you end up getting a Biocube.

Knock out the Bottom of the first chamber. Can be used for your heater.

Get rid of bio balls and get an inTank media basket to store your filter floss and Chemipure Elite etc. With the BC 29, you can even make a small refugium.

Replace stock return pump with a maxi jet 900 or 1200.

I have a Jebao WP-10 and a Spin Stream Nozzle on opposite ends. Gives it a nice overall flow.

I did a DIY LED kit from Steve's LED. They have a 95% retrofit kit that is very easy to install. With that kit I was able to keep any SPS or clams.

Hope this helps

AForys

Innovative aio are very nice too. Are you set on keeping a lid? I have a jbj28, which I decided to de-rim . I like thevde-rimmed look then your not opted out on certain lights. Personally I went with a diy fixute I bought the components from ledgroupbuy. I think the hanging mount was a bit to much so I plan on making some type of Mount from conduit then painting. Google aio tanks, there are many options.

Mr. Thingdoer

Any thoughts on the benefits/disadvantages of the Biocube 29 compared to other AIO's near that same size?
I had a BioCube HQI when they first came out. Soon after, I began upgrading part after part in order to have a proper running system. I eventually replaced everything it came with in a matter of months. I found that to be a big waste of time and money, and swore off AIO systems forever. My suggestion would be to build a sleek looking edgeless system around a Deep Blue Pro (or similar) tank. They have a cool 30G (24x24x12) shallow reef, and a 28G (20x20x16)