Biocube with skimmer and UV sterilizer

jruthe82

Hey everyone! New to the forum here and I have a couple questions. I have a 29 Biocube (Oceanic) with Steve's LEDs retro lighting kit. I have an Ocellaris clown for fish, along with about 25 lbs of rock and crushed coral. Corals include a duncan, a kendra tree, meteorshower, pagoda cups, dendra, frogspawn,a fungia, and purple haze, all frags. In compartment 1 I have the heater, #2 I have filter pad, some rubble and Chemipure Elite, #3 is a 300gph pump with an Oceanic UV sterilizer. I also have 2 Koralia nano pumps hooked up to a wavemaker.
The question is, should I have the UV sterilizer in there? It has been running for about a month and a half and I don't see a difference. I read here that maybe I should pull it out to leave nutrients in the water for the corals. I already pulled the skimmer and do a 5 gallon water change every 7-10 days.
Thanks for the input

Fish_wiz2

UV's are a hit and miss. They will not strip nutrients but will help with water clarity and control of free floating pathogens/algae. If you still have hope for it, try getting a new bulb. If not, take it out. I would also recommend adding the skimmer. I decided against the UV for my biocube and stuck with my tunze skimmer, i find it a beneficial. Wiz.

jruthe82

Thanks for the input. I had the skimmer running for about three months with little to no "gunk" coming out. The UV sterilizer was purchased new and has been running for about 2 months. I thought the bulb was suppose to last 6-9 months?

Fish_wiz2

It will last a year. I assumed it was used for longer. If youre okay with it, just leave it. And i would expect little skimmate with your bioload, just keep it for when your bioload increases.

cment

I never saw a difference with it in mine so i removed it....with 20% weekly water changes I have been able to keep my water clear...should be all that you need really

Ive run a sterilizer before but that was before I had corals. If its not bothering you and you have room for it and it seems to be doing a good job I would say leave it. Dont need to fix something that isnt broken. The skimmer will come in handy once your bioload increases. You can run it or dont.