Biopellets and ALK

So, long story short, as of Tuesday i noticed that a couple of my sps, 3 in fact, green slimer, red planet and PC rainbow, were pale, like something sucked the life out of them. Last night my slimer started .... sliming. Like it was loosing all of its tissue or what not.
The ONLY thing that I can think of that I've done differently is add or replenish my biopellets. I tested my ALK yesterday and it was at 9dkh (Red Sea kit) I also tested for nitrates : and they show 10ppm (salifert) but to be honest, they normally stayed near 5 or 10 anyway so I'm not convinced that it's the problem. Any ideas? Suggestions? Where should my ALK sit when running pellets?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Illinijoe

TeamCR
Limited experience with biopellets so far (3months) on a bc29 but here's my situation. my alk has stayed between 8-9 the whole time. Added pellets every 3 weeks. Nitrates at 10 constant. Dose seachem reef builder bi weekly. Topoff adds calcium. Test every week. Add magnesium as needed and at 1350.

Do you test mag levels?

Irsug1

Premium member
Yeah, if your nutrients are low you can burn sps if your alk is too high. I keep my alk around 8 when using biopellets.
What's your phosphate at?

Yeah, if your nutrients are low you can burn sps if your alk is too high. I keep my alk around 8 when using biopellets.
What's your phosphate at?
I test with a salifert kit, and get 0, which has to be incorrect. So I'm not sure.

I should also mention that I use kalk in my ATO, but haven't changed how much I'm adding. That has stayed the same. I refilled my ato yesterday night without kalk with intentions of my system naturally lowering the ALK

Ran some tests now that I'm home:
ALK 8dkh
Cal 440ppm
Po4 - undetectable per salifert & API
N03- 10ppm
Here's the thing, it's been a little over a week since I've added/replenished pellets. I have a 1/4 cup that's been soaking for over 24 hrs... I want to add more but I'm afraid to mess with anything else

I'm going to wait. For now I need to get another ALK test kit. I'm going to see if I can get it to stabilize at 7-8dkh and go from there