Black ick, Blue tang

falconleader

Okay so I'm off at college and my reef/fish tank is home. The mother is a little hypochondriac with fish problems, but recently she said there are black dots on my blue tang (I got him two weeks ago.)

29 gal, about 5 other fish, there's a cleaner shrimp/wrasse also. Lots of coral. Water parameters are good, buffer was a little bit low but it should be at an adequate level.

The tang's behavior is normal. I'm going to confirm the black spots being black ich tomorrow. Once I do should I start freshwater dipping or I read something about formalin etc. I need some help here if anyone has experience or knowledge on this matter

Cubbies

Not sure what it might be. Picture might be helpful. Aloooot of livestock in there for a 29 though. . . .

ColaAddict

A picture would help, post one after you get home and see your fish. Here's info on "black ich"

http://saltaquarium.about.com/cs/compldiagnodisease/a/aa041701.htm

It's not really ich, but a flatworm disease. The treatment is pretty much the same as ich. when I used to have ich problems, I tried hyposalinity, copper, formalin. All treatments killed my fishes. I then tried garlic and it worked wonders for me. I didn't even have to take any fish out of my DT. I just bought a jar of minced garlic, threw a pinch in the tank once a day with the food, cured all my ich problems. All corals and inverts were fine. It made my tank stink like garlic, but didn't lose any pets.

ColorMeCorals

Good link I have done very well treating ich w/ hyposalinity. Garlic will sometimes work for a mild case.

A picture would help, post one after you get home and see your fish. Here's info on "black ich"

http://saltaquarium.about.com/cs/compldiagnodisease/a/aa041701.htm

It's not really ich, but a flatworm disease. The treatment is pretty much the same as ich. when I used to have ich problems, I tried hyposalinity, copper, formalin. All treatments killed my fishes. I then tried garlic and it worked wonders for me. I didn't even have to take any fish out of my DT. I just bought a jar of minced garlic, threw a pinch in the tank once a day with the food, cured all my ich problems. All corals and inverts were fine. It made my tank stink like garlic, but didn't lose any pets.

ColaAddict

Yeah, I guess when I tried doing hyposalinity, I was pretty new and using a hydrometer (piece of poop). I learned my lesson and purchased a refractometer. I guess if you have the right equipment, you should be ok. But garlic is great to treat the whole tank.

bigt22005

i use kordon 100% natural ick treatment for treating ick (green bottle) 100% reef safe ick treatment will cure corals as well....very good product..

BADGUS

Black Ich is a very rare form of Ich,it affects mostly tangs and some angels,it is treated very much the same way as cryptocarin.hypo is a less stressful treatment.I would never put a tang in a 29 with 4 other fish.It's a bit irresponsible on your behalf.To top it off you are away in school.Pleaded consider a QT tank and return it to a lfs.