bleachin my coral

jeepsdoitall

so i am going to do this for the first time wish me luck since i have always used tap i have always had to fight with brown algae on my rock and sand. so now that i have started using ro water i am going to take all of the white corals and rock that i didn't buy "live" and bleach them in a bucket over night and soak them in water for a day and the soak them in a new bucket of clean water for another day so they will be nice and white again, feel free to throw some suggestions or tips my way.

Smitty

Premium member
After you've bleached them...soak them for a few days in a bucket of water and add some "prime"...it'll help remove the chlorine out of the water. I'd done the same thing when I had started my reef tank over.

SaylorsReef

Your rock, may now be live, and have worms and such inside. You may want to re-cure it before putting it back in your tank.

SaylorsReef

maybe i will just do the coral stuff
If you're only dealing with red slime or diatoms, etc, and not hair algae, a good swish around in a bucket should get your rocks clean. Could even use a toothbrush if needed.

Otherwise, if you bleach, you're looking at maybe a 30 day cure in a seperate tank/container. If you can, save the life inside your rock. It is very beneficial.

scotty

fowlr tank or reef tank? if it is a reef tank, i would recommend a better CUC before you do something drastic like bleach or cooking the rock. no matter how rediculously outta control algae is, you're just band-aiding the problem by bleaching, not really solving it. good first step is the ro water, but thats just the start. you would be suprised how clean stuff gets with some snails.

jeepsdoitall

it is a fowlr and im soaking them now and changing the water frequently and adding prime with every change of the water and testing the water in each bucket before i change it, the water is down to stress now so a few more times and it should be safe after a while but i will cure the rocks which are only two the rest is dead coral that i bought for decor.

jeepsdoitall

so im done bleaching that stuff and i decided to put it in this little 35 gallon salt tank that i have with a couple of damsels for like a month