Bugs?

mr_z

So I was looking in my tank and I mentioned in another post that I was getting some algae well in the spotson the glass where I can get to it to clean it there seems to be some tiny tiny tiny bugs that are moving round they're not the red ones I hear about but just look white/clear. Are they bad? What are they?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ColorMeCorals

Pods they should be good

So I was looking in my tank and I mentioned in another post that I was getting some algae well in the spotson the glass where I can get to it to clean it there seems to be some tiny tiny tiny bugs that are moving round they're not the red ones I hear about but just look white/clear. Are they bad? What are they?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jcarlilesiu

Did the look like they had shells? Shells like a shell fish type shrimp shell?

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using Tapatalk

ColaAddict

sounds like pods to me too. Copepods are very tiny, hard to see. Amphipods are bigger and look more like little tiny shrimps. you can get them with live rocks or macro algae you get from other people.

mr_z

ok i was worried. i do have a bunch of amphipods also some big ones to today i dropped some food pellets and i saw one run out grab one and start eating it

ColaAddict

They become part of your cleaning crew. they eat detrivores, and your corals and fish eat them. It's a circle of life kinda thing.

scotty

they will eat eachother too, keeping them in "check" if you have a healthy pod population, you will notice your fish eating slower, cause their eating bugs, so the every other day feeding schedule won't be a bad idea.

mr_z

thanks guys im starting to worry that my first reef tank might crash
:-( my red monti cap isnt looking to good it looks like when you look at some ppls elbows and theyre dry lol :-( i know thats bad my clown went missing i thought it jumped out but i didnt see it anywhere on the floor. looked in the sump and wasnt there havnt looked behind rocks but my blue leg hermits probably ate it him if he died i hope nothing else goes wrong

scotty

give it time, religious with water changes, you'll be fine, if you are worried about a crash stop adding until everything settles down.

jcarlilesiu

My red Monti cap has looked like that before once. I don't know why, and eventually it worked itself out but something was definitely off. Did you do a water test?

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using Tapatalk