Bulkhead w/strainer vs internal overflow box vs hang on back overflow box

Wildisme

Pros cons? I have ran small tanks with strainers, and ran my 150 with a large diy pvc overflow, and I have ran reef ready.

I have no experience with the hang on back overflows.

Any suggestions for my two 40 breeder tanks? Been looking around but not sure which setup I want to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xj_matt

Premium member
If it where me, I would go with the ghost overflow from synergy reef kinda pricy but they are awsome.

Wildisme

I think $400 on overflow boxes is a bit out of my price range for what I was looking to spend on it. Lol

They are nice looking tho.

SkullV

If you like the ghost overflow check out Modular Marine on eBay. His stealth overflows are just as nice (nicer since there are no rusty magnets if you ask me) at a fraction of the price. I run one on my 40 and couldn't be happier.

Bommie

If you like the ghost overflow check out Modular Marine on eBay. His stealth overflows are just as nice (nicer since there are no rusty magnets if you ask me) at a fraction of the price. I run one on my 40 and couldn't be happier.

I like that one. Might get that one for my 75 gal. Ive always used a hang on back. Whenever I upgraded I moved it along.

Sent from my Z740G using Tapatalk

Sparky312

I have an Eshopps HOB overflow on my 40B and I think its awesome. Properly setup it is not going to fail because it keeps the siphon even when the pump is off. If you have enough flow going through there is no way for bubbles to form at the top of the U-tube to break siphon. Its very well designed -- I wouldn't be keen on the brand that relies on a small cheap pump to keep pressure/siphon (I think the CPR does this)

In my opinion they are even better than a tower overflow because you give up zero real estate on the floor of the tank, plus you can move it around (left to right) if you want. For these reasons I would seriously think about using HOB again when I get a bigger tank. I read so much bad stuff/warnings about them when I first set up my tank, people say they are just a flood waiting to happen -- but I just haven't found the attacks on them to be valid.

You gotta get the right size -- I use the 800 on my tank and its great, if you want less flow going through the sump the 300 would also work for you.

#theMatrix

Sparky...i use a lifereef hob. I was on RC saying how good hob ones are and the designer/creator of the bean animal overflow came into the topic bashing how they will stop siphon and cause catastropic events. I told him hes a dumb ass for thinking as such as those issues are corrected on new model hob as long as the tube is in water which once primed is im****ing possible he continued to bash them and said drilling is the way to go bla bla bla.

Sure. I wantes it drilled but ive ran hob for so long also and nvr had issues.

Its alittle loud at times but...what evs.

Wildisme

Appreciate the info on the HOBs. I would rather not drill but wasn't sure about these