Calc/Kalk Reactor or Doser?

ColaAddict

I think that my SPS collection are gonna start taking off soon and will start using more calc/alk. I want to know from the experienced guy/gals which is better to use reactors or automatic pump dosers. Is this just a matter of prefference or is one better than the other.

pacmann117

Dosing A+B style liquids will add sodium and cloride to your tank over time, these are conservative elements and will build up... This can theoretically become a problem. Calcium reactors are very cost effective to run (although not cheap) and add nothing non-conservative to the tank. They depress your pH slightly, although if run properly not a biggie. Kalk reactors are great for low-medium demand tanks. In a nutshell, I'd go for the kalk reactor as long as you are mindful of the danger of overdosing. Calcium reactors coupled with kalk reactors have a synergistic effect, so it can be nice to have a kalk reactor prior to a calcium reactor.

EricTheRed

No, I'm not a communist..
I had the same question a while back. I did a little research and found an article from Randy Holmes-Farley. He suggested a good rule of thumb is to go with limewater/kalk if the tank is under 150G and a Ca reactor if over 150G. Personally, I add lime to my top-off water and I love it! (I have a 90G) For about $25, I bought a case of Mrs. Wages Pickling Lime (online) from Ace Hardware. This box will last me about 3-4 YEARS!!! Since doing so, I no longer dose A&B solutions and my Ca & Alk have been perfectly stable.