Calcium precipitate in salt mix due to kalk q?

poidog

Ok. I was mixing salt and accidentally added kalk water to the mix to top off the salinity instead of pure ro/di. It's caused calcium precipitate in the mix. I'm adding fresh ro/di to it now to lower the levels and see if it'll dissolve back in.

Anyone have any advise on this? Will it dissolve back, safe to add to tank tomorrow if it doesn't (and dissolve back in there), or cut my lose and dump it.

jcarlilesiu

Ok. I was mixing salt and accidentally added kalk water to the mix to top off the salinity instead of pure ro/di. It's caused calcium precipitate in the mix. I'm adding fresh ro/di to it now to lower the levels and see if it'll dissolve back in.

Anyone have any advise on this? Will it dissolve back, safe to add to tank tomorrow if it doesn't (and dissolve back in there), or cut my lose and dump it.
Our kalk precipitates often if we don't delude it enough.

ColaAddict

I don't think the chemical reaction will reverse itself. that precipitate is supposed to be safe though as it will not dissolve to cause a spike. You can just strain the solid stuff if you want and still use the water. I'm just curious how is the alk/calcium level in the fresh mix after the precipitation?

SkullV

The precipitate will not redissolve. I would toss that batch of saltwater though as the calcium level will be very very low (usually Cal precipitates to way lower than normal saturation).