calcium too high

SkullV

In reality the calcium in your water will never be too high. If you have the Mg to hold it in saturation then don't worry about it. If it was really to high it would be precipitating out of solution and it would read very low.

To be honest though it sounds like you have a Mg problem with a Cal that high and an Alk that low.

ColaAddict

As long as you are not precipitating calcium, just leave it alone and let the levels drop by themselves by correcting mag and easing off calc supplements.

Tank2379

I agree Your calcium can never be too High- Recommended NSW is 420ppm but thats just a recommendation- I use to run my Cal @ 560 and dkh @ 9 and Mag @ 1400 when I started many many many moons ago, never saw any ill effects... Right now I am fighting to get my Calcium @ least to 400- but Calcium checker on order soon...

SkullV

For a while my Cal was over 600 (Salifert). Nothing was hurting, everything was growing extremely well.

pringles

i did mag test last night, mag way too high out of the test range .Any, help to bright down i do 10% water changed every 10 days. Thank

EricTheRed

No, I'm not a communist..
Other than water changes I can't think of any other way to lower your Mg. The question is, why would you want to lower your Mg, how high is it?

Tank2379

How High is way too High?- I know some folks that had there Mag @ 1800? If you keep your Calcium around 420 to 480 PPM and Alk between 7-9 dhk it should subside the Mag and bring it down by itself- I wouldn't do anymore water changes

EricTheRed

No, I'm not a communist..
How High is way too High?- I know some folks that had there Mag @ 1800? If you keep your Calcium around 420 to 480 PPM and Alk between 7-9 dhk it should subside the Mag and bring it down by itself- I wouldn't do anymore water changes
Very good point.

pringles

i used salifert test kits , above 1800 & i think that the reason why my ca @ around 600 but all my sps seem ok , (grow & poly extend ).

Tank2379

As long as your Alk isn't crazy high over 12dkh you should be fine- Just keep testing daily until your Mag drops back down to normal levels, and at the same time keep your Cal and Alk Stable