canopy light

kurens

hey guys.
need yours help on this one.I want to build reef tank(sps,soft corals) with some fish.Aquarium is 100g acrylic...60x20x18 and got custom stand with canopy.previous owner never got lighting installed.problem is canopy.i got only 4" between tank and top(back is open).my question is what kind of lights or retro kit i can use in here(i would like to keep it on because of kids)inside canopy dimensions are 60x15x4 which is not to much i apreciate any help on this.thanks

WeePee

i'd say T5 retro fit or diy LED are really your only options since 4" would be pretty close to be using a metal halide.

scotty

if you want to go the LED route, go on nano-reef.com and search evil66's posts. the man is the DIY guru for LED on that forum.

EyeReef

+1 for LED or T-5's. Make sure there's some air circulation that can get through your canopy or else it could heat up your tank pretty good.

scotty

I would just pull out the back panel of the top, and throw a fan on the back, and your fine. Led heat is completely off the top, and t5 heat is very manageable

kurens

back is open...i am posting some pic.....tank not cleaned yet
if i want to have sps,lps corals how many do you guys think i need leds?
2x(36leds on 10x28inch heatsink)with 80 optics? or 2x(4.25x24 predrilled and taped for 24leds from rapidled) and 48 ultra premium leds on 80deg optics...

got answer from rapidleds guys

Thanks for the email.

If your tank is 60" x 18" x 20" I'd go with 60 LEDs instead of 48. You can still get the drilled/tapped heatsinks, just get the 36 LED version instead. If you're only 3-4" off the water then I wouldn't use lenses, at only 20" tall the tank probably doesn't need them anyways.

kurens

hey guys.i got my heatsinks today.can i put them a little in back so its not gonna block my feeding hole(used also as cooling)?

lunacris

my 8 bulb t5 unit is under 10 inches keep everything in my 75 tank ill be selling this fixture soon as i transfer everything to my 210 and seel all the live stock in the 210

misenplace101

Sure, you may not get even spread on your tank. Meaning the will be a little darker. I hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

misenplace101

Sorry... I can't type tonight. I meant to say the front may be a little darker depending how far back you install the LEDs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kurens

i will move it 1.5-2" from center to back(like on pic)tank is 20"deep and all lighting wiil be 3"-4" above water.i can use also 80deg optics on front leds.

scotty

well think about it, your rock is farther back, so really you are centering the array over your rock, vs. moving it back farther. look at the cheapo units in the store, they have the light twards the backish, with a door up front, or really any versa top does that too. not doing optics will help fine.

you planning on anything needing light on your front sandbed?

kurens

ok.
i attached 7.25x25 heatsinks to canopy(left 1/2inch space between)got first part of delivery from rapidled(still waiting for drivers until march29) and started to soldering:)