cant decide which nikon

mr_z

nikon d3100, 5100 or 7000

99% of the time the quality is exactly the same. i know the 7000 has 2 motors one for cam and one for non motor lenses to auto focus and 5100 and 3100 dont have that so you have to buy certain lenses that will autofocus on their own. the 7000 is most expensive and 3100 is least 7000 also has more knobs n buttons tha 5100 and 3100 money is tight but i know if i get 7000 it will last me years to come if i take well care of it and will be well worth it. but so will 3100 at a lesser price. so which should i get

rosko23

well let me take that back and ask you a couple ?'s.. What are you going to be shooting? are you experienced with shooting Raw and in manual? If yes, get 7000. If you answered no, are you going to try to learn to shoot RAW on manual? if Yes, get 7000. If you answered no again, then I would do 3100. Just my opinion.

Tangency

well let me take that back and ask you a couple ?'s.. What are you going to be shooting? are you experienced with shooting Raw and in manual? If yes, get 7000. If you answered no, are you going to try to learn to shoot RAW on manual? if Yes, get 7000. If you answered no again, then I would do 3100. Just my opinion.
RAW files are just raw sensor data. RAW files allow you to adjust some settings after you have snapped the photo and you need dedicated software to be able to use the file type. You still need to convert a RAW file to another format to be able to use the file. In my opinion I wouldn't let this camera feature dictate your purchase.

I do agree with rosko on buy a camera based on your needs. If you have no intention of learning how to use the features, I wouldn't waste your money on all the bells & whistles you get with a nicer camera body.

The majority of your expense will be in glass (which is what Nikon is known for). You can always upgrade/trade your camera body as technology changes. Good/fast lenses, balanced with your ISO sensitivity, are beneficial when shooting in lower light ie aquarium photography.

Lastly, and I have gone on record of saying this... buy used. craiglist has tons of great deals and people are always getting out of the hobby and/or upgrading their equipment.

soggy pocktets

FWIW....I have the 7000 and could not be happier! Spoke with a lot of camera people prior to buying and the feedback was very strong for the 7000.

FishBeard

I'm still rocking an ancient D70 SLR body with an awesome 18-200 VR lens and the staple f1.8 50mm fixed lens, and it still takes fantastic digital images for its age. If you are buying a Nikon DSLR, there is no clear "bad" choice. From a normal users standpoint they will all work great whichever you choose and learn to operate properly.

Captmrbles

I'm still rocking an ancient D70 SLR body with an awesome 18-200 VR lens and the staple f1.8 50mm fixed lens, and it still takes fantastic digital images for its age. If you are buying a Nikon DSLR, there is no clear "bad" choice. From a normal users standpoint they will all work great whichever you choose and learn to operate properly.
I am also a fan of the 1.8 50mm nikkor lense, My D100 broke down a couple of years ago and recently got a 3100. I am not happy with it compared to my D100 though it is a fine camera. For someone not familiar with manipulating images manually the 3100 is probably perfect. I started out with a AE-1 fully manual camera before digital was an option so I am a bit old school.

rosko23

RAW files are just raw sensor data. RAW files allow you to adjust some settings after you have snapped the photo and you need dedicated software to be able to use the file type. You still need to convert a RAW file to another format to be able to use the file. In my opinion I wouldn't let this camera feature dictate your purchase.
yeah didn't mean to sound like this is the only reason to buy it or not.. and the 3100 can shoot in raw as well. My point was that since the 7000 has better sensor, then if you were going to be shooting in Raw this would be the best one to go with. I started with Nikon D90 and upgraded to full sensor Canon 5D Mark ii.. Huge jump but I was going to school for Photography. One of the guys had the 7000 and I was very impressed with all the features and quality of this camera. and not too bad of a price. Well worth it in my opinion if you will take advantage of the features.

I have been very pleased with my D80. Lots of versitilty. I have to admit I have keep up to date with the new offering. Nice thing with most Nikons is they are backward compatible.

gapsaph

Hehe, I'm still using my D40x. I love it! I say get a camera you're happy with so you don't regret something later. Once you get used to the lens it came with, get another one that's different enough that you have a choice of which lens to use for that day. My most favorite lens ever is the SIGMA 30mm f/1.4. Gonna try it on the aquarium tonight...

Damianek

Hehe, I'm still using my D40x. I love it! I say get a camera you're happy with so you don't regret something later. Once you get used to the lens it came with, get another one that's different enough that you have a choice of which lens to use for that day. My most favorite lens ever is the SIGMA 30mm f/1.4. Gonna try it on the aquarium tonight...
can you post some shots with that 30 mm lens