Cheap, easy, sexy, and effective DIY overflow!

Joe Lydon

I found this idea on YouTube, and built one myself, to check it out. After fine tuning the flow, and getting everything right, it's amazing! It's very unobtrusive, painted black, with a black background.

Check it out.

[video=youtube;MssBnX6poII]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MssBnX6poII[/video]

Joe Lydon

That looks like the same tank your selling or am i seeing things
It is. I just got it filled with water, after doing the reseal. Hadn't tested the plumbing yet. Just finished it up, this morning. Still for sale, but wanted to show how the overflow was working out.

jrpark22000

Premium member
how easy is it to remove? It'll end up growing all sorts of algea; slime, hair and coraline. You'll need to pull it out regularly to prevent overflowing of the tank.

Joe Lydon

how easy is it to remove? It'll end up growing all sorts of algea; slime, hair and coraline. You'll need to pull it out regularly to prevent overflowing of the tank.
Fairly easy. Nothing inside is glued. Plus, where they connect, it's a 4 way. The connection pointing up, is cut short, wide open, and sits well below the top of the tank should any of the teeth become clogged. Can't imagine it's going to be any more maintenance, or risk, than any other overflow with teeth that can become blocked?

madjoe

Premium member
It is. I just got it filled with water, after doing the reseal. Hadn't tested the plumbing yet. Just finished it up, this morning. Still for sale, but wanted to show how the overflow was working out.
Looks pretty cool good idea

edin0009

hey Joe how much you want for the rock? thanks

Joe Lydon

hey Joe how much you want for the rock? thanks
Really trying to keep it going with the setup. It fits perfectly, as a stand alone piece. [MENTION=814]tinman[/MENTION] has first dibs, too. If I decide to split the package. I'm getting really tempted to just keep it, and run it separate. I could throw frags in there, as a back up system if the big boy crashes.