Chicago Fish n Corals

Tethered_Limbs

i called them saturday asking if they sold tunze nanos, the owner says yea we got lots of tunzes. they're the only store around that supposively carries tunze. so i drive a lil more than a hour to get there today, to find the only tunze stuff they got are a couple controllers. i would have been a repeat customer for a long time if that dude didnt straight up lie to me. pitty, was kind of a nice store, lil expensive tho. they had lil yelo cukes i wanted, but after the tunze fiasco i didnt want to give them my $. just a heads up if your going there because they said they had something you wanted

milk

Ive had nothing but great experiencea there.. theyve been honest everytime ive called of their stock. They can get pretty busy at times becuase ita basically a 3 store (exotic bird, fish coral and reptile house) combo. Ive seen various members of the different departments take calls for one another and ask for help when they dont know the answer.

Great, friendly service. Been going there for two years now. They have good deals if you look for them, otherwise prices are generally average. i picked up one of those yellow cucs meself.. Great addition to the tank.. So cool when they are filtering (not to rub it in).

SkunkerX

i called them saturday asking if they sold tunze nanos, the owner says yea we got lots of tunzes. they're the only store around that supposively carries tunze. so i drive a lil more than a hour to get there today, to find the only tunze stuff they got are a couple controllers. i would have been a repeat customer for a long time if that dude didnt straight up lie to me. pitty, was kind of a nice store, lil expensive tho. they had lil yelo cukes i wanted, but after the tunze fiasco i didnt want to give them my $. just a heads up if your going there because they said they had something you wanted

lol sounds like Brian

I only go up there if I absolutely have to now and that's just for rats. They screwed me over a couple years back "before they downsized considerably from 4 1/2 stores together down to 3" so I just lost my taste for going there and giving them my hard earned cash. I up until then have been going there since they opened and were just Chicago Reptile House, back when they cared about getting your business. I would suggest if your out that way again Aquatica is only 10 or 15 minutes away from there and if he don't have what you need he can probably get it for you.

m.miller1547

lol sounds like Brian

I only go up there if I absolutely have to now and that's just for rats. They screwed me over a couple years back "before they downsized considerably from 4 1/2 stores together down to 3" so I just lost my taste for going there and giving them my hard earned cash. I up until then have been going there since they opened and were just Chicago Reptile House, back when they cared about getting your business. I would suggest if your out that way again Aquatica is only 10 or 15 minutes away from there and if he don't have what you need he can probably get it for you.
+1 they have outlandish pricing on almost everything. $12 for a 3/4 in bulkhead. $80 for a med zoa colony. I used to breed ball pythons. I trusted these guys till I took home a snake from them that destroyed almost all my collection. 23 snakes. I lost a female bumblebee valued over 5k at the time.

I asked if they did watertest one day and he said yes, but with a purchase. I agreed. He checked my ammonia, nitrite and salinity with a hydrometer. They sell refractometers for nearly $100. Store use one buddy.

Finally, after discussing a few things with an employee he advised me to try copper in my reef. This was recent. I hacnt been back and will not go.

I'm an MCF guy now. Check put reef city aquatics. Great new store with an honest owner.

milk

Yeah mcf is great, but some of us cant make that 1.5 hr drive from the southside when we need it. In the south area (and believe me, there is no decent lfs in the southside of the city where im at) its the closest decent store. I'll take cfc over aquatica most days because Ive found them to be less 'greedy', but its nice that the two storea are fairly close.

anicemess

lol sounds like Brian

But Aquatica keeps advertising on Craig's List that they are going out of business!! :a10: for about 5 years or so!!:peace:

anicemess

Yeah mcf is great, but some of us cant make that 1.5 hr drive from the southside when we need it. In the south area (and believe me, there is no decent lfs in the southside of the city where im at) its the closest decent store. I'll take cfc over aquatica most days because Ive found them to be less 'greedy', but its nice that the two storea are fairly close.
I know you are discussing the big LFS, but I've never had a problem with Odd Lots at 79th and Sayre. Little place but I get very hardy corals and fish from them.

bigt22005

i dont like aquatica they have quality but thats for the riches and i still dont believe he sold not 1 shark out that shark tank he has...and i hate when he talks he always says on that guy...lol....i perfer robs or cfc my first trip to mcf will be very soon i hope they dont disappoint me

you mean Capture the Sea!
I think they are officially closed now. I've seen their ad on CL and I think they have one more new tank setup that is for sale. The shop has been closed now for over a month. They were trying to sell the last of their stuff and would only be open Saturday and Sunday. My folks live around the corner.

I stopped in a couple times to take a look but most of their dry goods was still priced similiarly to what you would find online, so I never made a purchase.

bigt22005

yup they are down but jim still throws good deals out there..i bought a marineland reef ready light 36-48 from him for 150 brand new in box...had to take it..