Choosing a test kit!

ColaAddict

Youre just starting out, so you need something to test ammonia, nitrite, nitrates, pH, alkalinity until your tank becomes stable. As you get more advanced and get into corals, you'll eventually need to check magnesium and calcium. With a nano, you'll be doing weekly partial water changes, so you probably won't even need to check mag and calc as they will get replenished every water change, but depending on which corals you put in there, you might need to check. The reef master test kit by API would be a good start. I find that my API is pretty comparable with my Hanna testers which is more expensive.

rattyE36

Looks like ill probably order the reef master kit today then! How often should I be testing? After my weekly water change?

Aside for using them to test Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate (things that should read as zero or not zero) the API kits are virtually useless for a reef tank. As your reagents get lower in the bottle the accuracy of the test kits change.

Rather then purchasing more advanced kits later do yourself a favor and purchase the standard API Master kit now (Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, High Range pH) and order the rest of your kits from Salifert or LaMotte. If you are able to afford them the Hannah checker for Alk is a nice investment as well.

I have had the chance to test and work with most of the widely used aquarium test kits and Lamotte, Salifert, Elos, Red Sea and the Hannah Checkers are the only ones truly worth buying.

FishBeard

I still have an extra API reef master kit (cal, Kh, phos, nitrate) a single bottle ammonia and a single bottle Kh tests, all brand new. Was asking $20 for the master, and $5 each for the singles, or $25 for all of them.

pacmann117

In my personal experience, if a test kit doesn't come with a reference sample I have very little confidence. I can tell you many major brands on the market are off by unacceptable margins (68% when we tested a Sera alk test!!!!). As Jeff said, most test kits for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate should be viewed as a zero or non-zero value and corrected appropriately. But when it comes to calcium, alkalinity, or magnesium, you'll want a top-notch test kit... well worth the money. Keep in mind simplicity of use is important as well!

mr_z

I still have an extra API reef master kit (cal, Kh, phos, nitrate) a single bottle ammonia and a single bottle Kh tests, all brand new. Was asking $20 for the master, and $5 each for the singles, or $25 for all of them.
if you where closer id buy the master kit unless u wanna ship it to me? 20 bucks

FishBeard

if you where closer id buy the master kit unless u wanna ship it to me? 20 bucks
I can send it for an extra $5 for the priority USPS flat rate if you don't mind it being shipped loose. I'm not a retail outlet and can't afford to give away free shipping. $20 is already cheaper than you will find anywhere for the kit. Any less and I have no problems keeping it for when my set runs out.

mr_z

I can send it for an extra $5 for the priority USPS flat rate if you don't mind it being shipped loose. I'm not a retail outlet and can't afford to give away free shipping. $20 is already cheaper than you will find anywhere for the kit. Any less and I have no problems keeping it for when my set runs out.
Ok I'll let you know

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk