closed loop

kurens

hey guys.need some ideas on how to do it:)

i got 2 water circulations(filtration)...water from center overflow going to my rl175 skimmer through refuge with external blue line 40pump(790gph) to upper overflows on sides.

second one i want to use for closed loop to prevent any powerheads but iam not sure it will be enough flow...as you can see on pic previous owner got 2 holes on bottom(in and out) i got iwaki MD100RLT(2000gph)to use for it.
should i drill 3 more holes and use it with super squirt from ocean motions?
or you got better idea.thanks for any advice guys.

misenplace101

Hmmm.. one return and one intake for a close loop???? IMO I would drill and run a ocean motion 4 or 8 depending on the amount of returns you have.

kurens

Hmmm.. one return and one intake for a close loop???? IMO I would drill and run a ocean motion 4 or 8 depending on the amount of returns you have.
one return and one intake it was used by previous owner.how many holes should i drill?.one intake and four drains is enough?

misenplace101

How long is the tank? 4 will work... You can also use lockline to split the returns off to create the proper flow after you aquascape. I'm setting up a 120 with 4 returns on the bottom and the intake on the side of the overflow.

scotty

the best setup i saw on nano-reef had a 40br with 8 holes on the back, 2 were in and out for sump/fuge, and the other 6 moved water around. he had them all locklined and split all over the place. Ive been looking for an hour and can't find his build :(

P.Olsen

First thing is, how big is the drain? If it is only 1" it will only have about a 600 GPH flow out of the tank into the pump assuming there are not many bends before it reaches the pump so if the single return that is there now is also 1", even with a 1800 GPH pump you would only really be able to add 3 maybe 4 3/4" lines on the back. Cant really be specific without knowing how much you have to feed the pump with. Might even be an idea to use both as drains into 2 pumps and give yourself some real flow options, the more the better if you are planning on a reef.

kurens

tank is 60x18x20.i didnt even know what lock-line is?done my research and its not bad idea.i will drill three more holes than.any specific driller bit for acrylic or just use hole saw drill for wood?

scotty

same hole saw, and i forget what grit, but sandpaper the roughness some for the seal to be tight.

FOUND IT!

OK, here goes.

The herbie drain pipes are in the middle highlighted in yellow. The bottom pipe will carry water to the sump, and the top pipe is just for backup.

The return from the sump, powered by a Pan-World 40PX, is on the left side of this image, and is highlighted in green.

The closed loop intake is highlighted in blue. Flexible hose will connect this to the intake of a Pan-World 200PS sitting on the floor behind the stand.

Flexible hose will connect to a hose barb (not visible) on the back of the OM squirt. The four outlets go to the four corners of the tank. The OM super squirt and related plumbing are all highlighted in red.

All of the valves are currently closed, but will be open during operation. They're only closed for isolation so I can remove the plumbing at the unions. The drain is throttled with an additional valve located inside the stand for easy access. I wanted a gate valve for throttling, but could not easily find one, so I used a ball valve and will have to deal with it. It's not like there's an active control system here, just a set point.

This post has been edited by neanderthalman: Dec 6 2008, 03:40 PM
http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=145187&st=100