Clowns acting very funny. Perhaps mating?!

CoralN00b

Everyone,

Something weird happened in my tank. Some of you may or may not know but I didn't have a nem or anything similar in my tank for a few months. About 6 or more actually. Then I picked up an amazing huge frogspawn from jayjerk a few weeks ago. My jigsaw clown started hosting it right away!

This past weekend, I went to the frag swap in Indiana. I picked up two bubble tip nems and they are happy and full, so are my clowns now! My jigsaw always hosted a nem and the frogspawn. However, my Osc clown never did until recently and he is still iffy. Now my Jigsaw is the larger of the two so female is the rule I believe. Tuesday, I noticed her being pretty aggressive with the other clown. The Jigsaw clown kept bothering him and chasing him around the tank and rubbing up on him. Then she did this thing where she would shake like she was seizuring. Scared the heck out of me! I hit google asap and found that this was a submissive dance or a mating dance.

I have been watching them and now they are both doing it and seem to be pairing and getting along much better. They both rub up on each other and do the shake thing, which I still can't get used to.

Is love in the air or something else? Also, if they are pairing and mating, what should or can I do to help besides not watch. LOL

I have seen others put a pot in their tank or something for them or am i good with the two nems and a frogspawn? This is a new chapter for me in this hobby with this recent event so I appreciate any help and look forward to learning more.

Irsug1

Premium member
IMO, Unless you're trying to raise the babies. You don't need a pot. They will find a place to lay eggs and call home. I think you're good.

jeffy

You have a long ways to go! No need for a pot unless you want to just focus on breeding. You will see a good amount of eggs when laid. It will be around where they both are. Once the female lays the male will stand guard an the female will go out on a drinking binge! However if you clowns are just now doing this it will take some time to lay. Regards congrats. If you get eggs just ask me or supper fish for info!

CoralN00b

Awesome guys! I really appreciate it! Thank you!

I love my clowns so I wanted to make sure if there was any way I could help them be comfortable then I would do it. I'll just put on some soft music and dim the lights a bit for them then!