Coris wrasse went overflow

#theMatrix

Some of my wrasse have gone into the overflow and down i to the sump. And others have jumped that the dog maybe the dog chewed and spat out elsewhere.

If you dont have a net cover over it. You can also get overflow covers.

As for getting it out? I had to use a big scoop spoon because the net would not work

jrpark22000

Premium member
The trick I've used several times to get fish out of my overflow. It'll depend on your plumbing if it's an option.

I have a herbie so there are three overflows going to the sump. On one of them, I have two unions between the tank and the sump. The unions are below a shut off valve. I shut off the drain, take out the section of pipe between the two unions, then I've made up a short pvc section of pipe that'll attatch to the top union, so when I upen up the vavle, the overflow will drain out this short section of pipe into a bucket on the floor.

To catch the fish, I guide the fish over by the pipe, wait until it's close and quickly open the valve. Once the fish disappears down the slip and slide into the bucket I shut off the valve. Fish in a bucket :D

You have to remove the stand pipe and let your fish drain in to your sump. I would shut down the pump. Remove water in the overflow. Pour in a pitcher of water to flush it out.

madjoe

Premium member
Try piece of pipe with a cap on one end and fishing string on other he may try to sleep in it the pull it up may help to drill some holes in the capped end so when u pull it up kinda makes vacuum and keeps him in pipe

Irsug1

Premium member
I have had this problem several times. I used 2 nets, 2 people and a stick. It may take a while.
Good luck.

wrasse

Be careful whatever you do I lost a Supermale Flame Wrasse in the overflow. I disconnected the drain and he didn't come out right away. There was a lot of accumulated Detritus in the overflow and all that killed him. If I had the same situation again I would probably try to clean out the overflow first
Good Luck

madjoe

Premium member
No worries happens all the dam time now i have a cover on mine but found a goby on top the cover crispy stupid fish

#theMatrix

Last night i came home to a disappearing wrasse sun tanned ontop of the mesh screen top. I noticed it swiming up and down the surface looking to see if there was gaps. And he found the gap.