Crab ID? Good/bad?

ultimatemj

It's weird, he's shaped like a gorilla crab,but he looks smooth and doesn't have the black tipped claws.

Need a better pic from top down and/or face to say for sure.

Right now I'm 50/50....if you think you can get him out and have a QT for him to be evaluated, I'd probably move him while you can...but they can be hard to catch (good or bad)! A

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jrpark22000

Premium member
Look at the base of the euphyllia between the two stalks. One photo the claws are extended the other they’re not.

madjoe

Premium member
Wow u guys got good eye site i finally see it cant tell good or bad but dosent look like any of the good ones ive seen . When in doubt get it out. Trap it till u can id for sure

expo703

Wow sorry guys for the bad pic - How is this? This shows his face.. I will try to catch him tonight and put him in my sump.

View attachment 14442

I know nothing about crabs if its a bad one what should I do with it just leave him in my sump/fuge? Is he bad because he will eat corals or get so big and attack my fish at night?

Last edited:

Dragonfish

Well, he's not hairy and both claws appear to be the same size. I'm going to guess red mithrax crab. If it is then it's a crap shoot, most are safe but I've heard of them going predatory. Keep him in the sump.

#theMatrix

I could put my clown trigger in there and hell catch it for you....he enjoys the hunt.

Dont get excited... but if your lucky and if it is go buy yourself a lotto ticket aswell.

Google an anemone crab...from front profile and red id say its a possibility.

If im right and this is a raffle. I win it, right?

I bought some rock from TBS and it is loaded with crabs so I have actually become quite good at giving a good guess as I seem to hunt crabs and search IDs constantly as mine grow. From that picture the claw looks to have more of a blunt end than a terminal pincher. That is usually the sign of a crab that isn't inherently predatory. I would like to get a better picture of the side of the claw. Fat, tipped claws are only good for one thing, chaos. The blunt, skinny claws of the Mithrax are more for picking at rock for food. I have read 100s of stories, but have yet to have a bad Mithax crab. Mithax crabs seem to have bigger balls about being seen, the bad ones will usually hide quickly when they see you.

Top Water

It's not a bad crab until it does something bad if it's hosting the frog spawn leave it . I have lots of different crabs in acros and found them to be fine