Custom Stand for JBJ NC 28g

Herbie

Banned
Hey folks. We'll call this a build thread in the planning stages. I just decided That I can solve several of my problems if I just move the tank into the spot currently occupied by the mini fridge, but I want to keep the mini fridge. Natural conclusion; I need to build a stand that can hold the aquarium over/around the fridge. Obviously I'll have to worry about load bearing as well as allowing air flow for the fridge. With this move I will have more clearance behind the tank and can add a HOB skimmer and potentially a overflow and sump set up in the future
View attachment 1898
Any thoughts or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I am not a tradesman by any means, but I did build everything you can see in the pic. I can over engineer with the best of them, but in this application I need it to look good and be 0 risk for failure.

Bwidner

The trouble I see is in the space constraints, you can easily just build a 2x4 frame and just skin it, with maybe 1 bracing across the top, with the footprint of the tank if really doesn't take much especially if you make really good joints. i am actually heavily debating building a stand for mine that can house a 10g sump.

rattyE36

To be honest after seeing how "not that quality" the actual manufactured stands are for the nano cube, that manage to hold them I really would not doubt that you could just set it right on top of the mini fridge....just throwin the idea out there!

Herbie

Banned
To be honest after seeing how "not that quality" the actual manufactured stands are for the nano cube, that manage to hold them I really would not doubt that you could just set it right on top of the mini fridge....just throwin the idea out there!
:fie: that would scare me badly. The fridge is about 20 years old and probably not really intended to hold ~300 pounds. I also have kids so I can just imagine someone leaning on the door and using it as a lever to dump the whole thing forward. I think the fridge is just slightly smaller as well. I think I can build a basic 5 sided box with ventilation on the back that will look OK and will allow me to replace the fridge in the future. I definitely considered it, but I'd definitely rather be safe than sorry. Thanks for the suggestion though! :beerglass: