Dip or not to Dip?

DB9181

Alright I know this can be a "hot topic" but I'm just wondering what everyone's thoughts are regarding dipping coral and/or fish. -If so what do you use, etc?

I have heard that dipping fish can almost be more harmful/stressful and usually using a QT is sufficient unless you know there is a parasite for sure.

What about corals?

EricTheRed

No, I'm not a communist..
I assume you mean a fresh water dip for fish. Don't do it. It is not effective in killing the parasites that have burrowed into the mucous lining of the fish, therefore it's not 100% effective. The best course of action is to quarantine all new fish for a minimum of 4 weeks and then treat if disease become apparent. There are ONLY 2 methods of treating ich that are proven to be 100% effective....copper (cupramine is best) or hyposalinity. Then quarantine for another 4 weeks to make sure the treatment was effective. The one exception is that some people will treat ALL tangs of the genus Acanthurus because they are highly susceptible to marine ich. It has also been documented that up to 30% of marine fish have some type of worms (intestinal) so it is recommended to treat all new fish with a de-wormer that has praziquantel in it. This may seem like a lot of work to do with new fish but the work involved in treating an entire tank can be much worse, not to mention your fish may die.

As far as coral goes, I would dip everything. I've never lost a coral due to dipping and once bad bugs get into your tank it's much harder to treat and can be a hassle. Take the 10 minutes to dip and you'll never have to worry about bugs.
Personally, I use Coral RX, but there are others that are also good.

EricTheRed

I always double dip my corals. 1st in Coral RX and then in Flat worm exit.
Have you ever seen flat worms alive after a Coral RX dip? I'm wondering because my bottle of Coral RX says it kills Red Worms. I always assumed they were the same thing.

poidog

Dip all your corals! Nothing enters my tank without a dip, even from trused reliable sources. After acclimation they get about a ~5 min dip in coral Rx (adjust time as needed), rinse in fresh SW then in the tank they go. I try to only buy fish that have already been through a QT system to avoid any potential problems. But please, do not dip your fish ;)

bennyblanco

The only time that I've seen flatworms was once when trading for a piece of frogspawn. Those little suckers just started jumping off the frag. They were bigger and brown compared to the little red/brown/orange ones. Needless to say I think I triple dipped that frag.

Have you ever seen flat worms alive after a Coral RX dip? I'm wondering because my bottle of Coral RX says it kills Red Worms. I always assumed they were the same thing.

gig

dip SPS corals - after drip acclimating, I tank some tank water and mix in Coral RX in a container and let them sit for 5-10 min, mixing the water occaissionally, then lightly shake the corals in the water near the end of the dip. I then transfer to a second container with tank water to 'rinse' them, with a little swirl a well. Then transfer to the tank (usually a frag rack on the sandbed). I've had great luck with this process.

Fish - never dip, I also dont QT, but I tend to get my fish from MCF where they've been QT for 2+ weeks and are healthy and eating. I know this isn't long enough for a real QT (plus they are not in a true QT sharing with lots of other fish. Hovewever, if they are healthy and stress free, I've never had issues. just how I do it.

Heidi

I dip all my coral in coral rx. I use the bag the coral comes in. I just dump the whole thing coral and water into my "dipping measuring bowl". That way I know how much rx to add. I get a small bowl of water from my tank in my other bowl. Leave it in the dip for about 15 mins and swish then put the coral in the rinse water. Swish then temp acclimate in the rinse water. I bought all my fish from places that qt them for a minimum of 2 weeks in coper and prazi. Having tangs makes me worry about ich but I over feed my tank and use garlic. I am thinking unstressed well fed healthy fish can fight off anything they may catch in my tank, so far this has worked great for me. I have a qt just incase someone gets sick I can remove them and treat just them, instead of the whole tank.
Heidi

nvdiz

I dip all incoming sps with Coral Revive. Haven't lost a piece to it w/ the exception of a Hawkins....

Cubbies

I as well dip everything when it comes to corals. I learned my lesson. I had a tank full of zoas that got wiped out by Nudis. Sometimes we get lazy and say "I'll just put it in". Take the 15 extra minutes and do it right. Remember you're paying the money and the consequences for this hobby. Might as well do it right. Although I tell everyone I have no pests and what not, I always tell them to dip as well when I sell something. Fishwise I had never had any issues with as long as they look healthy. Although you never know. I don't have a QT but I will take my time looking at the fish before buying to see if it looks healthy. I know the ride home can prone them to stuff but I think if it looks healthy in the store it should do alright. Buying from a store that QTs is always a +. MCF is one.

EricTheRed

but I tend to get my fish from MCF where they've been QT for 2+ weeks and are healthy and eating.
This is true, however i think they are the only ones who do this. I could be wrong, though. this is the only store I've ever been to who wouldn't sell me a fish because they were still QT'ing it.(Which was awesome) Most stores will sell them to you while they're still floating in bags straight from the distributor if you ask!!

DB9181

Alright Thx all! My assumption regarding fish was correct... I shall get some coral dip for the future :) For now, lets hope nothing as entered my tank thus far...

Greg

I always dip all my sps corals coming in after acclimation.
Besides the bag it came in i use an Acclimate XL, 2 dipping bowls, 2 rinse bowls, and a small qt tank i have just incase i see something.

Nothing gets in my tank without a strict acclimation. Im not going to risk losing everything over not dipping.

I use revive and coralrx for my sps.

I use very trusted sellers though. So the odds of getting anything are very slim anyway. Only time ive ever seen aefw is when i saw a lfs use revive on a new shipment. I watched just to see what they look like. Never seen anything from my shipments from my sellers.

Better safe than sorry.