DIY ATS Project for 90gal tank

ioevanc

Hey guys

I just wanted to share my DIY build of ATS unit for my 90gal tank. It's been up for almost a week and the algae kicked off like crazy. What do you guys think of the bulid?

jcarlilesiu

I believe its an algae scrubber.

It is basically a translucent sheet that the water runs down. By focusing light on the sheet as the water passes, you encourage algae to develop on the sheet rather than in your display tank.

As the algae develops on this sheet and builds, they uptake nutrients from the water column further preventing algae accumulation in the display.

After a month or so, can you show us how well it has worked.

ColaAddict

Yeah, I heard that it takes awhile for the algae that you want to grow, the one that looks like coraline algae. for a few days you just get the usual micro algae growing, then you get the actual algae scrubber algae to grow, which eats up alot more nutrients that the usual micro algae. some people stop producing skimmate in their skimmers because the algae scubber's so effective. But I think it takes some patience.

Piscinarii

How's the spray so far in that space? I think the concept is great but I would be a little paranoid about spray and possible damage to the area around it.

ioevanc

It isn't too bad at all. There is a little salt creep but nothing major that would be a problem. I tested the thing before I actually installed it. It would spray if the opening where the net is inserted would be too narrow, when I widened the slot the water just falls down on the net without spraying.

Bwidner

Quick question as I am looking into adding a sump and one, do you attach the sheet to the pvc in anyway or wedge it in there? Also are you teeing it off your return or running a dedicated pump?

ioevanc

Quick question as I am looking into adding a sump and one, do you attach the sheet to the pvc in anyway or wedge it in there? Also are you teeing it off your return or running a dedicated pump?
I use regular plastic zip ties to attach the sheet to the PVC, works great. I am using an extra pump as the water from the return does not have enough pressure to provide good enough flow through the PVC opening.

yogoshio

I'm actually in the process of making one myself, although in a very different way, lol. I have a 55 gallon tank setting up now, and a sump, and I'm going to use my old canister filter to feed the line and have it pull and return from my sump. Save some money and increase my water volume a bit!