DIY Led Lighting

anicemess

Can anyone give me ideas on how to make my own Led lighting system? Save me the expense of making the mistakes?

m.miller1547

Rapidled.com; if u think you can manage a bit of soldering and a multimeter this is the place for you. Also try reefledlights.com, but I feel its a bit more expencive although he's located in Chicago.

Carefully plan your setup. Dimmable? What kind? PWM or 10 v system with potentiometers. Do u plan to use contollers? If u dont plan or design ahead; the project becomes more expencive.

How bigs your tank? What do you plan to keep?

I like meanwell drivers, 50/50 crees royal blue to white with dimming potentiometers. Very easy setup.

Pay more attention to keeping the unit cool. I unplugged my heatsink fan and came back 6 hr later to fund 8 burned out LEDs. :(

Research and goodluck. :)

anicemess

Oh no....Matt, got your pm but just read your post......
jourdain.family@gmail.com
I like meanwell drivers, 50/50 crees royal blue to white with dimming potentiometers. Very easy setup.
This is all English language words that I understand separately, but when you put them all together in a sentence....I HAVE NO IDEA what you mean. Arghh... I"m in way over my head.

This is too much for me right now. Football Sunday starts in an hour and a half. I'm stopping fish thinking and will spend the rest of the day rooting for the packers to lose... today....

anicemess

sorry the first quote didn't go through.... I meant to quote this..

Carefully plan your setup. Dimmable? What kind? PWM or 10 v system with potentiometers. Do u plan to use contollers? If u dont plan or design ahead; the project becomes more expencive.
And I don't know what this stuff is... :(

anicemess

For a beginner, nothing in this hobby is easy. Although people outside the hobby think I know a lot...hmm blissfully ignorant...

FishBeard

Not sure about the packers, but I can try and discuss DIY LED in plain English with ya when we both have time. I've spent enough time with the things it's becoming 2nd nature to me now. Still waiting to see my latest handiwork posted up... Dre? Where's that custom moonlight install write-up at mang?

Lil BamBam

Premium member
Not sure about the packers, but I can try and discuss DIY LED in plain English with ya when we both have time. I've spent enough time with the things it's becoming 2nd nature to me now. Still waiting to see my latest handiwork posted up... Dre? Where's that custom moonlight install write-up at mang?
:D It should be up tonight with video...

m.miller1547

I'm sure these guys are more than capable but read a few DIY threads and take notes and keep reading. That's how I learned. :)

glazer

Can anyone give me ideas on how to make my own Led lighting system? Save me the expense of making the mistakes?

Do this....

And get this...

Or do this....

Or this...

See I was trying not to use words...LOL
The question as you asked is just way to open.. they can be as simple or as complicated as you want to make them. Probably get a lot more help if you start with info like what tank size and what you want to or what it is stocked with. Barebones kind of fixture? As in the cheapest way to go? Complete fixture on legs or hanging? Build lights all the time and would be happy to give you any tips or help in putting something together but have no clue what you are after.

Steve

anicemess

Oops I forgot I started this thread. I don't know what kind of support I want for the lights; hanging or sitting. I don't have a top yet on the tank. I have the unorthodox 'tanked' tank. I was leaning toward a netting for the top so I guess my choices are down to sitting on legs or hanging lights. Can't decide yet.

scotty

You need to start building those housings for us those are amazing!

I'm not kidding you can make some cash, you have talent.