Do you know the name of that coral?

Pawel

Premium member
Can anyone help me recognize that coral? The branches are blue and green with yellow polyps. Thanks

Pawel

Premium member
There was a big discussion on reef2reef on Garf Bonsai vs Bali Tricolor. After taking a closer look this morning at my coral and two frags that I got, I came to the conclusion that it is Garf Bali. Reefer @tab28 on reef2reef who has both corals explained very well the difference.
Thanks for your help reefers.

xmoji

Eat, Sleep, Reef
It varies and I haven’t tested par in a long while but 150 low end and some sps get 350-400

Sawdonkey

Premium member
There was a big discussion on reef2reef on Garf Bonsai vs Bali Tricolor. After taking a closer look this morning at my coral and two frags that I got, I came to the conclusion that it is Garf Bali. Reefer @tab28 on reef2reef who has both corals explained very well the difference.
Thanks for your help reefers.
I’m not convinced. I’ve had both of these in the past and I still think tri color.

Garf is a deeper solid purple with greener more pronounced polyps, and a tighter branch pattern.

Tri color is more of a blue-ish purple that isn’t as solid (lighter and darker areas). The polyps are more yellow-ish green and it’s more branchy.

Both are cool corals.

Pawel

Premium member
I’m not convinced. I’ve had both of these in the past and I still think tri color.

Garf is a deeper solid purple with greener more pronounced polyps, and a tighter branch pattern.

Tri color is more of a blue-ish purple that isn’t as solid (lighter and darker areas). The polyps are more yellow-ish green and it’s more branchy.

Both are cool corals.
The base of the coral is green and purple on the edges. Tips (new growth) is blueish or purpleish with brownish or greenish branch.

Last edited:

ultimatemj

It's certainly not without doubt, but I'm with Sawdonkey because the GARF Bonsai I've seen have a consistent deep purple "body" versus the Valida's tricolor "body" with "pale green" sections. And it looks like the tips of yours are showing a hint of the green tips that you'd expect the tricolor typically to have.

That said, this is not a new discussion; these two corals have multiple threads across the forums "which one is this" LOL

If @ReefDweller is still active here, he may be able to enlighten us on how to be sure :)

Pawel

Premium member
It's certainly not without doubt, but I'm with Sawdonkey because the GARF Bonsai I've seen have a consistent deep purple "body" versus the Valida's tricolor "body" with "pale green" sections. And it looks like the tips of yours are showing a hint of the green tips that you'd expect the tricolor typically to have.

That said, this is not a new discussion; these two corals have multiple threads across the forums "which one is this" LOL

If @ReefDweller is still active here, he may be able to enlighten us on how to be sure :)
Looks like many people are confused by those two. I'm one of them. If you guys are sure that it's Tricolor then Valida Tricolor it is.

Sawdonkey

Premium member
Looks like many people are confused by those two. I'm one of them. If you guys are sure that it's Tricolor then Valida Tricolor it is.
I’m definitely not 100% on it, but I’d lay down a reasonable amount of money in a bet on it.