drilling a filled tank

roilciuc

Has anyone ever drilled a filled glass tank. I have to do it and want to know if it's possible to empty the tank a few inches and drill the top back side with the tank still partially full. Thanks in advance.

helitaiwan963

Nope, empty the tank and drill it right. This is because you need to use plumbers putty to make a **** for water to drill the tank... Look up how to drill a tank and you'll see why. It is also a mess from the dusty water that's created. Last thing you want to go into your tank

trackfast

Princess Trainer
It is possible; you can see it on youtube. Whether you think it's worth the risk is up to you.

failnomicon

Just cuz you can doest mean you should. if something were to go wrong, the glass breaks, glass sawdust gets into the tank ect.

Navycook2

plus the curing time of the silicone and while its curing it does give off some nasty chemical release that will kill corals happened to my buddy!! lost most of his tank because the silicone didnt cure just saying IMO dont do it!! not worth the health or you fish or your corals!!!

FishBeard

plus the curing time of the silicone and while its curing it does give off some nasty chemical release that will kill corals happened to my buddy!! lost most of his tank because the silicone didnt cure just saying IMO dont do it!! not worth the health or you fish or your corals!!!
What are you siliconing? I've always just used that magic lube stuff on the gaskets, never had an issue with leaking. The silicone will separate over time and cause leaks. Magic lube stays in a grease form and makes a water tight seal that won't wash off over time. (insert childish snicker here)

m.miller1547

I have drill several tanks and its much easier empty. The bit must stay wet; plumbers putty isn't necessary. A good towel and patience. You shouldn't silicone bulkheads. It's quite easy tho. I could see someone drilling a tank that has two inchs of water. Got buckets?