Easiest Way to Mix Salt for 90 gallon tank

jrosales91

Premium member
I just finished pumping my 90-gallon tank which is now ready for RODI water but before I add the RODI water I will need to buy 90 gallons of RODI water (Don’t have RODI system :a17:) and then mix it with my red sea pro salt. My plan is to add the RODI water to the empty tank and then add the red sea salt till I reach 1.026 salinity. Once I get to the correct salinity level add my sand and dry rock to the display? Hoping this will be the easiest way to mix the salt and water as I don't want to mix single 5-gallon buckets one at a time thoughts?

Cubano32

Premium member
I just finished pumping my 90-gallon tank which is now ready for RODI water but before I add the RODI water I will need to buy 90 gallons of RODI water (Don’t have RODI system :a17:) and then mix it with my red sea pro salt. My plan is to add the RODI water to the empty tank and then add the red sea salt till I reach 1.026 salinity. Once I get to the correct salinity level add my sand and dry rock to the display? Hoping this will be the easiest way to mix the salt and water as I don't want to mix single 5-gallon buckets one at a time thoughts?
My opinion is to get a 50g trash brute can and add water to that and mix salt.

Since you have a 90g tank you will have to mix it twice

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

carpetreef75

Premium member
Get yourself a Rubbermaid garbage can toss a heater in with a wavemaker and dump in some salt .. FYI jewel stores have ro water machines a few 5 gallon buckets and a garbage can waiting in the parking lot
Bryan

Cubano32

Premium member
Like carpetreef75 said toss heater in there it will dissolve faster with warmer water..

When I mix my salt I use an old dc pump I have I just toss into trash can with water

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

GugsJr

TeamCR
I wouldn't mix it in the tank salts can leave a residue behind. I'd mix it in a brute can, with a power head and heater

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

tinman

Option 1 - Get salt water instead of RODI water from the lfs .. costs you about $20 -$30 more but would lessen your effort by soo much
Option 2 -
1. Fill the tank with RODI
2. Put your red sea salt in till you reach 1.026 salinity ( thing is you cant pour over the bucket of salt all at once .. you have to add some and then some or the heat generated would make the calc deposit or something like that )
3. put the dry rock in
4. then put the sand in ..

when you say dryrock im assuming you are still yet to cycle .. and for cycling purposes red sea salt is a waste of money .. get the instant occean non reef and be done ;)

carpetreef75

Premium member
Mixing in the rubbermaid is a no Brainer just make sure you bring the water up to 78 , my water is usually in the 50s b4 heater and the salinity will change and need more salt the warmer it gets .Don't be scared GO FOR IT !!!!!!
Bryan