Equipment review: Oakton Conductivity meter

jrpark22000

Premium member
I’ve had the meter for a couple weeks now, and so far I think this is finally an accurate conductivity meter. I’ve been using the Pinpoint salinity meter for a couple years, and my first 2 were pretty accurate. The probe had a fault on the second meter while it was under warranty, so I was sent a new one. Both this one and the next just did not live up to the accuracy of my first 2. They had up to a 1.5ms variation between tests.

After research the most economical lab grade was the Oakton Con 6+ Meter with probe WD-35604-00. After enough searching I found a new one on ebay for comparably cheap, under $300. The instructions state the probe should not be submerged above the clear guard, so I did have to build a probe holder for the tank. It has a manual calibration mode so I could calibrate to a 53ms sample. The meter is made in china, but for thermo fisher scientific.

I’ve verified it during each use now against a precision floating hydrometer and am so far satisfied in the .1-.2 variance. The accuracy of the hydrometer, thermometer, conductivity meter, and the human factor could all cause this small variance.

I just wanted to pass along the equipment review for anyone seriously interested in testing accuracy.
http://www.4oakton.com/proddetail.asp?parent=52&prod=378&TotRec=na&Seq=1&qty=0

It's used to measure the salt content of your water by measuring the electrical properties of the water. There are several reference tables to match the conductivity to S.G. and PPT as the scale is not linear. Conductivity has a more granular scale when compared to SG on hobby grade testing equipment.

http://www.americanmarineusa.com/sal...onversion.html

mS ‰ Salt (ppt) Specific Gravity

51.5 33.90 1.0250
52.0 34.30 1.0253
52.5 34.60 1.0256
53.0 35.00 1.0259
53.5 35.40 1.0262
54.0 35.70 1.0265
54.5 36.10 1.0268
55.0 36.50 1.0270

Last edited:

jrpark22000

Premium member
Np, I just fixed the product link. This was one of the threads lost during the crash. I've had this meter a couple months now. I check/recalibrate every 4-8 weeks and it still is .1-.2 variance, well worth the money IMO.

jrpark22000

Premium member
Another update. The meter is still rock solid. The only thing is the BNC connector is getting a little loose. Once every couple of months It'll throw me a weird number that doesn't seem right. I just have to take off the probe BNC and put it back on and it's right back at .1-.2 MS. Great tool and easy for the wife to use.

View attachment 14596

View attachment 14597