F8 puffer

Ok so yesterday I got a F8 puffer for my daughter's 10 gallon that has 2 feeder goldfish that the turtles didn't eat. It's just a little guy, about 3/4" long. After reading up on them lastnight I decided to turn the tank over to brackish. So this morning the feeder goldfish got evicted to the LFS' predator tank. Fed the little puffer 1/3 cube of frozen blood worms. Wow, he gobbled them all up and has a fat belly.

My question is: how do I feed him hard shells? Where do you find snails small enough for him to eat?

Going to get a black molly also before I slowly up bring the tank to brackish. .001 per week.

Thank you. Good thing I have all the saltwater stuff lol. I didn't think about using a hammer to expose the meat. I'm assuming whatever he doesn't eat take out later. The aquarium currently has black and pink gravel which I'm going to switch out 25% a week for crushed coral. Seems easier to vacuum than sand. With brackish water at 1.008 SG will I have both freshwater and marine bacteria? I assume having some dry rock rubble as decoration would be beneficial also?

Pufferpunk

I think you should change out the substrate all together. Sand is easy--just stir & siphon off the top. I've used CC too though.

Do not raise the SG more than .002/week. .001/week is fine. Your goal is 1.005.
Dry rock is good.

That works. I already have sand. I just didn't know how much of the bacteria was on the gravel. The filter is a aquaclear 30 with the bio pellets in it.

Pufferpunk

All my FW filters are ACs. Aragonite sand buffers. It's different than the regular sand we use in our reef tanks.