Feeding piranhas

derrickaustin

J/w if any one has piranhas and what they feed them I have 5 I feed them chicken , shrimp some time feeder fish can any one add some idea's

SkullV

They eat all kinds of stuff in the wild. I had friends who fed rodent meat (frozen mice), insects, beef heart, etc. Their fish got huge and have been alive for as long as I can remember.

Joe5688

U can feed them frozen shrimp (non cooked) I used to feed mine mysis, brine and pretty much anything lol. I wrked with a company who had a ton of fw fish die and I froze them right away and used that to feed mine also. They pretty much east anything lol

Top Water

I fed mine crayfish I caight in the ponds and night crawlers from the garden and a goldfish or minnow once in awhile.

Just put it this way you can infect the paranhana with ick or other parasites if you feed them live gold fish because they usually keep too many goldfish in one tank at your local pet stores. I had one for over 8 years and it would get ick sometimes and i would treat it with the meds, but one day when he was fully grown he caught ick and could not shake the disease and died learn from my loss. If i was older and more experienced i would have know more about fish diseases and how to prevent them. Careful what you decide to feed your paranhana it could end up killing them ............:02.47-tranquillity:

derrickaustin

I know that's what im worried about I've been feeding roseies but I think ill stick to fresh fish from the market.. I work at a chain pet store the goldfish are cramped and dirty

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Just put it this way you can infect the paranhana with ick or other parasites if you feed them live gold fish because they usually keep too many goldfish in one tank at your local pet stores. I had one for over 8 years and it would get ick sometimes and i would treat it with the meds, but one day when he was fully grown he caught ick and could not shake the disease and died learn from my loss. If i was older and more experienced i would have know more about fish diseases and how to prevent them. Careful what you decide to feed your paranhana it could end up killing them ............:02.47-tranquillity:
+ 1000

zfro09

The pirahnas we have just any fish pieces. I wouldn't recommend any grocery store bought foods because that isn't meant to be packaged and produced for pets. So you may need to check to see if anything in the packaging can harm them. As for frozen foods many LPS stores have them but I recommend HIKARI frozen not their DRY. As for dry foods Spectrum mega carnivore Pellets are a very good source of different nutrients. Just remember Variety of foods is the best way to keep your fish colorful. The wider ranges of vitamins consumed will bring out the colors you may have never seen. Any live food is good just make sure they are quarantined. Even frozen mice are good I'd stay away from live mice because of diseases.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Pufferpunk

I have been in the hobby for 40 years. I have been feeding my fish/puffers food from the produce dept of the grocery stores for just as long. Believe me, if it's for human consumption, my fish can eat it. As long as it isn't cooked or salt added.

SkullV

Keep in mind that the food in the grocery store cooler displays is usually sprayed down with phosphate as a preservative so rinse well if you are going to use it.

Pufferpunk

I have fish 20-28 years old. I think if there were going to be issues with my feeding practices, I would have noticed by now...

zfro09

Just suggestions take it or leave with anything that humans consume there is a risk to your fish. Tap water is fine to us but the chlorine kills fish so us humans can take a lot more than fish.

zfro09

So if you don't mind the risk of your 30 year old fish then go for it