First time aquascaping...any thoughts?

GunkGunk

My 46 gal bowfront. Here's a couple of pics of how I set up my dry rock. Just looking for opinions. Kind of hard to get the sense of depth that it has but it's kind of semi circle shape from left to right with the middle parts being the deepest. Couple little openings too and one pretty good size one also on the right. It seems stable but nothing is glued or drilled. Is that ok? Man did I over buy on the rock too! I've probably got at least half if not more that won't get used.

So how should I do this. I was thinking put the base rocks down first (so they will be more stable on the bottom and won't move if sand gets moved) then the sand (40 lbs Nature's Ocean samoa pink #2 grade) so I could arrange and spread it around easier. Then build up the rest of the rocks. Just wondering what other people did or think. Just have to hook up the plumbing, get the sand and rocks in and some saltwater mixed and I'll be ready to go. Thanks

Smitty

Premium member
It looks great...good idea to place the rock on the bottom and then add sand. That way you'll prevent any rock slides in the future if you get a fish that burrows.

FishBeard

Honestly, it doesn't look very stable to me, some of those larger pieces up top look like trouble waiting to happen, you'll be surprised how much lighter those rocks will feel once the tank is full, and how easy those bigger pieces will get bumped and knocked over causing partial collapse. If you are dead set on that scape, I would get workin with some epoxy putty and superglue at the least while it's still dry and lock that scape in place to prevent any accidents later.

FishBeard

Also, you don't mention, have you leak tested the tank yet? Would be a serious suck-fest to mix all that water, have all the sand and rock in place and have to tear it all down cause of one leaky seam...

nvdiz

aquascape looks great, and if it is unstable you should use some reef safe epoxy to stick the rocks together.

GunkGunk

Honestly, it doesn't look very stable to me, some of those larger pieces up top look like trouble waiting to happen, you'll be surprised how much lighter those rocks will feel once the tank is full, and how easy those bigger pieces will get bumped and knocked over causing partial collapse. If you are dead set on that scape, I would get workin with some epoxy putty and superglue at the least while it's still dry and lock that scape in place to prevent any accidents later.
It's not like I'm really dead set on that particular scape. That's my first try and I thought it looks pretty good but I'm going to look into how to glue and epoxy for more stability. Don't want any oops's

Also, you don't mention, have you leak tested the tank yet? Would be a serious suck-fest to mix all that water, have all the sand and rock in place and have to tear it all down cause of one leaky seam...
Yes I've leak tested the tank, the sump and the overflow to make sure no leaks. Going to hook up all the plumbing tonight and then research the super gluing the rocks

lunacris

I can't tell from my phone but id make sure u get some flow behind those rocks. And + 1 on stabilizing scape. Toppled rocks is bad news when u get corals growing. Looks good by the way. Chances are no matter howvu set up u will change in time.

GunkGunk

I can't tell from my phone but id make sure u get some flow behind those rocks. And + 1 on stabilizing scape. Toppled rocks is bad news when u get corals growing. Looks good by the way. Chances are no matter howvu set up u will change in time.
Thanks. There is open space behind the rocks too but I will definitely check how everything is flowing before anything goes live goes in there.

X2 on the changing the setup in time. I'm sure once everything is set up and running I will see a better way things can be laid out.