FishBeard's 20L Frag Tank

FishBeard

Getting this project started now that KennyT's 40 breeder reef is complete and running, and we got the 29g upgrade up and running over this past weekend.

Equipment:
Aqueon 20g Long
FishNeedIt 150w MH w/ Phoenix 14k
CPR Bakpak w/ modded MJ1200
MJ900 for circulation
All-Glass 150w heater
Approx 4-6 lbs liverock rubble
Homemade egg-crate rack system
Shower caddy chaeto holder

Livestock (future):
Blue Damsel
Six-line Wrasse

Obviously this is a budget build, focusing strictly on function over form. Everything but the tank and eggcrate are recycled items.

I will be hitting the tank back and bottom with cheap black paint, and will give the racks a few coats of krylon fusion black (reef safe in case you are wondering)

First pic shows the rock rack that will keep the rock suspended 1/2" above the bottom of the tank.

Second pic is of the frag racks mounted above the rock rack.

Third pic is of the side to show open flow for circulation and to let the fish easily cruise around the entire tank.

Sorry for crappy pics, made this post from tapatalk and upped pics directly from phone.

FishBeard

It's far from perfect, but should meet my demanding expectations from myself. This is only version 1, I'm sure the next one will be much nicer. For now I needed cheap and easy so I could clear out the racks from my display reef.

FishBeard

Got the tank up and running last night, still a little left to do, but its running! Just need to top off the bakpak skimmer before plugging it in.

poidog

nice. I think I'm going to build a frag tank once my 70g starts to grow out... then maybe make appearances at the frag swaps :)

where did you find the black eggcrate?

FishBeard

Yea, I got the white 2'x4' sheet for free, and $4 for the can of paint. If I could have gotten a black sheet for free I would have gone that route. The black stuff seemed pretty expensive last I looked. How much is new fish selling for? Ive seen it as cheap as $14 for 2'x2' pieces plus shipping online.

Wayne Scott

Thank you for the idea.

I was wanting to create a shelves like that but the white light diffuser panels really promote unwanted algae growth.

I am going out to buy some of that paint tonight.