Freshwater stores north side of chicago/near suburbs?

Bwidner

Hey guys I was just wondering if there are any stores on the north side or in the closer suburbs that are good for freshwater? I got my neices their fish from the Petsmart in village crossing, but my Dad just mentioned picking up a 42g Bowfront and asked if I knew of any good stores that specialize/are really good for freshwater?

FishBeard

Not sure, but if you want some pretty African cichlids, I can hook you up with some for free. Pickup would be in elk grove village industrial park. My parents office tank is overstocked, darn things won't stop makin babies. LOL

Bwidner

Thanks Fish, i will let him know, I just don't know what he is planning on doing with it other than it's going to be freshwater because that's what he asked me about lol. Personally I love African Cichilds, I always remembered wanting them in the freshwater tank growing up but was always told they were too mean for the other fish we had lol. I am really tempted to pick up a tank myself for freshwater with the sale going on, but I am telling myself I need to get the tank I have finished first!

scotty

Honestly though, nothing is really great for fresh. Petsmart for your dither fish is going to be fine, ive had great luck with the bolivian rams and german rams from my store.

FishBeard

They are just a mix of different colored Kenyi cichlids. Max out around 4" and not super active. 4-6 of them would be fine in a 42 bow-front. Don't worry, no mature 9"+ frontosas are being given away...

scotty

or brichardi pair in that mix. both not good. I'm actually kicking around for a 40 breeder, but I'm going for either a brichardi species tank, or SA tank, limited. dunno yet, but anywhoo good that you arent giving him ruler fish.

jayjigga

I like a few lfs's for FW, but honestly, do exactly what you do here: check out the Illinois chapter on plantedtank.net. There are a lot of great ppl there and some are your fellow reefers as well. I would say go planted and have fun with it, but I'm biased ;)